Studies of Chess: containing Caissa, A Poem, by Sir William Jones; a Systematic Introduction to the Game; and the Whole Analysis of Chess
by Philidor, A.D. and Pratt,Peter
- See description
San Anselmo, California
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London. Samuel Bagster. 1803. Handsomely bound in full period Tree Calf. Gilt ruled spine compartments. Red morocco,gilt title label. 8vo. 5.25"x8.5 The First Edition.Two Volumes in One. Complete as issued. Illustrated with a copperplate engraved Frontis of a chessboard and pieces. Rare First Edition of this early collection of writings on Chess and according to Hooper and Whyld (318) its chief merit is that it contains the whole of Philidor.The book also includes Sir William James's poem 'Caissa' while the introductory portion is from Peter Pratt's Theory of Chess. François-André Danican Philidor (1726-1795), was regarded as the best chess player of his age; his book Analyse du jeu des Échecs was a standard chess manual for at least a century,and is regarded as the most influential book on the modern game. A well-known opening and checkmate method are both named after him. Small repaired chip to headpiece. Some very sporadic offset, else a remarkably crisp and bright Fine copy of the exquisitely rare First Edition.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Heldfond Book Gallery, ABAA-ILAB (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Studies of Chess: containing Caissa, A Poem, by Sir William Jones; a Systematic Introduction to the Game; and the Whole Analysis of Chess
- Philidor, A.D. and Pratt,Peter
- Book condition
- Samuel Bagster.
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
Terms of Sale
Heldfond Book Gallery, ABAA-ILAB
The Heldfond Book Gallery is an elected member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers and conforms to all ethical codes and standards of those organizations.Books found to be materially mis-described may be returned within seven days of receipt and all monies will be promptly refunded, if returned to us in the same condition as sent.
About the Seller
About Heldfond Book Gallery, ABAA-ILAB
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- A technique of printing where the inked image or text is ... [More]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [More]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the... [More]
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp... [More]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat the... [More]