Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
In the course of a lively drinking party, a group of Athenian intellectuals exchange views on eros, or desire. From their conversation emerges a series of subtle reflections on gender roles, sex in society and the sublimation of basic human instincts. The discussion culminates in a radical challenge to conventional views by Plato's mentor, Socrates, who advocates transcendence through spiritual love. The Symposium is a deft interweaving of different viewpoints and ideas about the nature of love—as a response to beauty, a cosmic force, a motive for social action and as a means of ethical education.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- citynightsbooks (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Symposium (Great Ideas Series)
- Book condition
- Used - Fine
- 1st Thus
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- Penguin Group USA
- Place of Publication
- E Rutherford, New Jersey, U.S.A.
- Date published
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
Books may be returned within 15 days in the same condition in which they were purchased. Please contact us first via e-mail.NOTE: WE DO NOT ACCEPT DISCRETIONARY RETURNS. This is because so many are third-party orders, which we consider unethical and possibly illegal.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Mass Market
- Mass market paperback books, or MMPBs, are printed for large audiences cheaply. This means that they are smaller, usually...[more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- 1st thus
- Indicates that this is not the first appearance of a book in print, but that this is the first appearance in a substantially...[more]