THE TALE OF LOHENGRIN. Knight of the Swan after the Drama of Richard Wagner by T. W. Rolleston
by ROLLESTON. T. W. -- WAGNER, Richard. ; POGANY, WILLY. Illustrates
- See description
London, United Kingdom
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
FIRST EDITION. SIGNED LIMITED EDITION, with an extra full page signed etching bound in. 4to. (11.2 x 7.8 inches). One of 525 copies, numbered and signed by the Artist.
Beautifully illustrated throughout including 8 full colour hand tipped plates, and 192 other illustrations, in line and colours, some full page, among the calligraphic text.
Finely bound, by Bumpus of London, in attractive full deep red crushed morocco. The spine with raised bands. Compartments with gilt dotted line and double ruled lines, and gilt lettering in gilt. Boards with the same double ruled and single dotted line border in gilt. Board edges with double gilt ruled lines. Turn-ins with single dot and triple ruled lines, plus floral corner pieces, all in gilt. Japon vellum endpapers. All edges gilt. Red silk page marker.
The signed etching is similar to, but more detailed than, two of the illustrations in the book, one on the title page and one of the full page soft colour illustrations, and may have been the inspiration for the image, or an enhanced later version. Some offsetting to the blank endpapers from the turn in leather and a small area of rubbing to a small area at the bottom of the front board but overall a fine copy of this beautiful book with the added bonus of a wonderful signed etching.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or Create an Account first!)
- Paul Foster Books (GB)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- THE TALE OF LOHENGRIN. Knight of the Swan after the Drama of Richard Wagner by T. W. Rolleston
- ROLLESTON. T. W. -- WAGNER, Richard. ; POGANY, WILLY. Illustrates
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- George G. Harrap and Co, London. No date. 1913
- Bookseller catalogs
- Signed and inscribed books; Fine bindings; Children's and Illustrated books;
Terms of Sale
Paul Foster Books
All books fully guaranteed. Any book found not ot be as described may be returned for a full refund within seven days of receipt. Please notify before returning any books. All items remain the property of Paul Foster Books until paid for in full. Payment by instalment acceptable for high value items. Please ask. ----- Full Member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association, I.L.A.B, and PBFA
About the Seller
About Paul Foster Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created... [More]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [More]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also... [More]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the... [More]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined... [More]
- Vellum is a sheet of specialty prepared skin of lamb, calf, or goat kid used for binding a book or for printing and writing. ... [More]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the... [More]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]