Telliamed, ou entretiens d'un philosophe indien avec un missionnaire françois sur la diminution de la Mer, la formation de la Terre, l'origine de l'homme etc. Mis en ordre par J.A.G[uers]
by MAILLET, Benoit de
- very good
- Very good
Standard Delivery: 7 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
With uncanny prescience, Maillet describes how species have overlapping physical characteristics that suggested a common life origin, namely the sea. Through a Oriental mystic we are told that: "The little Wings had under their Belly, and which like their Fins helped them to walk in the Sea, became Feet, and served them to walk on Land."
REFERENCES: Caillet, No. 7009. Versins Utopie p. 640. LITERATURE: "Charles Darwin et ses Precurseurs francais (Paris, 1870) Chapter 1: "the moss-grown fragments from the ruins of another world." See also Albert Carozzi, "De Maillet's 'Telliamed' (1748): An Ultra-Neptunian Theory of the Earth" in: Toward a History of Geology; Proceedings of the New Hampshire Inter-Disciplinary Conference on the History of Geology, Sept. 7-12, 1967. Mary Efrosini Gregory, "Evolutionism in Eighteenth-century French Thought" Chapter 1. See also the article on Maillet in DSB, IX, pp. 26 et seq: "Maillet's ideas unquestionably influenced many leading naturalists for almost a century, notably Buffon and Cuvier.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Michael Laird Rare Books LLC (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Telliamed, ou entretiens d'un philosophe indien avec un missionnaire françois sur la diminution de la Mer, la formation de la Terre, l'origine de l'homme etc. Mis en ordre par J.A.G[uers]
- MAILLET, Benoit de
- Book condition
- Used - Very good
- Quantity available
- First Edition
- Chez l'honore et fils, libraires
- Place of Publication
- Date published
Terms of Sale
Michael Laird Rare Books LLC
14 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 14 days after delivery if an item arrives mis-described or damaged.
About the Seller
About Michael Laird Rare Books LLC
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Errata: aka Errata Slip A piece of paper either laid in to the book correcting errors found in the printed text after being...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- The portion of the book closest to the spine that allows the book to be opened and closed.