Teoriia svobodnogo stikha: zametki o poeticheskoi tekhnike [Theory of verse libre: notes on poetic technique]
by Charles Vildrac, Georges Duhamel, and Vadim Shershenevich, translator
- See description
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Moscow: Izd-vo "Imazhinisty", 1920. Octavo (17.5 × 13.5 cm). Original printed wrappers; 48 pp. Unopened and uncut. Wrappers detached; light foxing to wrappers; text evenly toned to stock, internally very good. First Russian language publication of Charles Vildrac (1882-1971) and Georges Duhamel's (1884-1966) 1910 "Notes sur la Technique poétique," translated with commentary by the Imaginist poet Vadim Shershenevich (1893-1942). The translation helped Shershenevich to further formulate his theory of "Imaginism" (Imazhinizm), a poetic movement he founded along with the poets Sergei Esenin and Anatoli Mariengof. Most closely associated with the Futurists, the Imaginists were especially active in Moscow in 1919-1924 and were popular with the audiences for the anarchic and sensationalist tendencies in their poetry. Shershenevich was in continuous competition with the Futurist Vladimir Maiakovsky; two poets both wrote texts for the ROSTA (Russian Telegraph Agency) window displays during the Russian Civil War (1918-1922). The rear wrapper of this edition contains a famous cubist portrait of Vadim Shershenevich done by Boris Erdman, a stage set designer who for a time belonged to the Imaginist group. Complete works of Shershenevich to date, including his dramatic works and his translations of Marinetti are listed on the inside of the front wrapper. A catalog of the "Imazhinisty" publishing house, appears on the inside of the rear wrapper, with Sergei Esenin listed as one of the editors. KVK, OCLC show the copies at Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, Bamberg, BnF, Geneva, Getty, HvA, Wisconsin Madison, and Harvard. The copy at Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin is a war loss.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Bernett Penka Rare Books LLC (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Teoriia svobodnogo stikha: zametki o poeticheskoi tekhnike [Theory of verse libre: notes on poetic technique]
- Charles Vildrac, Georges Duhamel, and Vadim Shershenevich, translator
- Book condition
- france, french, modernism, modernist, futurism, futurist, imaginism, imagism, imaginist, esenin, mayakovsky, shershenevich, mariengof, mayakovsky, maiakovskii, avantgarde, avant-garde
Terms of Sale
Bernett Penka Rare Books LLC
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since 2008
Ask Seller a Question
About Bernett Penka Rare Books LLC
Bernett Penka Rare Books specializes in rare and out-of-print scholarly books on the History of Art and Architecture from antiquity to the present. Since 1944 we have been helping institutional libraries and individuals build their collections.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing... [More]
- A state in which all or some of the pages of a book have not been separated from the adjacent pages, caused by a traditional... [More]
- The paper covering on the outside of a paperback. Also see the entry for pictorial wraps, color illustrated coverings for... [More]