Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
1494 Jean Gerson INCUNABLE Medieval Catholic Poem Mysticism Josephina Incunabula
An extremely rare volume from the 1494 printing of the complete works of Jean Gerson. Gerson was one of the most prominent 14th-century French scholars and played an important role in the development of the Council of Constance. He was distinguished by adopting mysticism as a primary focus of his theology, though today, his works are held in high regard especially within the Catholic Church.
In 1494, Strasbourg publisher Martin Flach printed the complete works of Gerson in three volumes over the course of a few months at the end of the year. Curiously, the third part is dated August while the first two parts are dated December of 1494.
This incredibly impressive third volume of the complete works of Gerson includes a full-page woodcut engraving of Gerson climbing toward a castle. It also features many of his works on mysticism, evangelism, meditations, exercises in devotion, an exposition on Psalms, living a solitary life, as well as letter to the Archbishop of Lugduni and his work of Biblical narrative poetry 'Josephina'.
First Flach edition with large red and blue rubricated initials throughout.
Item number: #6891
GERSON, Johannes de
Tercia pars operum Johannis de Gerson doctoris chritianissimi
Argentorati [Strasbourg]: [Flach], Anno d[omi]ni. M.cccclxxxxiiij. iij. Jdibus mensis Augusti.
· Foliation: Complete with all pages
o 359 leaves + 1 blank [i.e. 360 sheets]
o Signatures: 2a-2h⁸·⁶ 2i-2k⁸ 2l⁶ 2m-2n⁸ 2o⁶ 2p-2q⁸ 2r-2v⁶·⁸ 2x⁸ 2y⁶ 2z⁸ 2A⁸ 2B⁶ 2C-2D⁸ 2E⁶ 2F⁸ 2G-2H⁶ 2I-2M⁸·⁶ 2N-2O⁸ 2P-2S⁶·⁸ 2T⁸ 2V⁶ 2X-2Z⁸ ²2A-2D⁶
· References: Proctor 698; Goff G 189; HC 7625*; Hillard 879; GW 10717; BMC I 152; ISTC ig00189000
· Language: Latin
· Binding: Leather; tight & secure
· Size: ~12.5in X 9in (31.5cm x 22.5cm)
Very Fast. Very Safe. Free Shipping Worldwide.
Customer satisfaction is our priority! Notify us with 7 days of receiving, and we will offer a full refund without reservation!
Photos available upon request.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Tercia pars operum Johannis de Gerson doctoris chritianissimi
- GERSON, Johannes de
- Leather; tight & secure
- Book condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Quantity available
- [Flach], Anno d[omi]ni
- Place of Publication
- Argentorati [Strasbourg]
- Date published
- 1494 Jean Gerson INCUNABLE Medieval Catholic Poem Mysticism Josephina Incunabula rare, antique, old, first edition, 1st state, provenance, signed, inscribed, dust jacket, vellum, manuscript, engravings, illustrations, leather, plates, maps, antiquarian
Terms of Sale
Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
About the Seller
About Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The book is pristine and free of any defects, in the same condition as ...[more]
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet...[more]
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.