Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Hedin, Sven (1865-1952)
Nearly 300 Illustrations in the Beautiful Two Volume Set
Sven Anders Hedin was a Swedish geographer and explorer who undertook several expeditions to unexplored regions of Central Asia. Through Asia is an account of Hedin's first expedition, 1893-97 during which he investigated the Pamir Mountains traveling through the Tarmin Basin in the Xinjiang region. The expedition traveled 26,000 kilometers including the Taklamakan Desert, Lake Kara Koshun and Lake Bosten proceding to explorer and study Northern Tibet. Hedin and his team successfully mapped over 10,000 kilometers on this trip approximately one third of which was previously uncharted territory.
His is the First American Edition translated from the original Swedish 'En Fard genom Asien, 1893-97". The illustrations are from the author's photographs and sketches.
New York and London: Harper Brothers Publisher, 1899, First Edition, 2 Volumes: 649 and 651 (1,255) pages, 2 photogravure frontispieces, 2 folding colored maps and nearly 300 plates and text illustrations. Publisher's beautiful green cloth with bright gilt title to front boards along with a tri-flower motif, spines are perfect with bright gilt, Top edges gilt, No previous owner bookplate or writing. Some very light wear to boards, head and heel of spine.
Spectacular Bed Rock Asian Travel and Exploration Title
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Pacific Coast Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Through Asia
- Sven Hedin
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Harper Brothers
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date published
- Exploration, Asia, Northern Tibet, Tibet, Travel, Sven Hedin, Central Asia
Terms of Sale
Pacific Coast Books
About the Seller
About Pacific Coast Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The lower most portion of the spine when the book is standing vertically.
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]