A tour throughout the whole of France; or, new topographical and historical sketch of all its most important and interesting cities, towns, forts, castles, palaces, islands, harbours, bridges, rivers, antiquities, &c. &c.: Interspersed with curious and illustrative anecdotes of the manners, customs, dress, &c. of the inhabitants. Embellished with Copper Plates.
by Barnes, John
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Originally written as "A Key to Walker's Geographical Tour Through France". A board game, "a new Geographical Pastime" published by W. Darton and listed in the publisher's adverts at the rear of the volume.
The entries for each place are given a numerical value on the itinerary around France, beginning in Calais, and ending in Paris, indexed at rear. An interesting early guide book format.
John Barnes identified as the author of this work by the National Library of Scotland and other bibliographical sources as "Town Major in the East India Company's Service". Author of A Tour through the Island of St Helena. 1817.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- A tour throughout the whole of France; or, new topographical and historical sketch of all its most important and interesting cities, towns, forts, castles, palaces, islands, harbours, bridges, rivers, antiquities, &c. &c.
- Barnes, John
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Printed and sold by William Darton, Jun.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- East India Company, Napoleon
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Europe; France and French Interest;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- In reference to a hinge or a book's binding, means that the glue which holds the opposing leaves has allowed them to separate,...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- A common abbreviation for Front Free EndPaper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]