Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
12mo (16,3 x 9,7 cm). , XVIII, "394" [=392].  pp. With engraved frontispiece (dated 1707), 3 engraved headpieces (including one repeat) and 8 full-page plates. Contemporary calf, gold-tooled spine, marbled endpapers, red edges. With engraved armorial bookplate of Conte di Salmour ("Del. Cav. di Salmor") on paste-down. Spine rubbed and joints slightly damaged, paper browned, otherwise in good condition.
A rare counterfeit edition of Frezier's extremely influential fireworks manual, first published in 1706.
Divided into three parts it subsequently treats the ingredients of fireworks, the production of various types of fireworks, and finally fireworks displays. Frezier "was an all-round military expert and fortified San Domingo and other places. His book describes coloured fires, Roman candles, set pieces, fireworks burning under water, etc. and is particularly detailed on rockets, incl. those of repeated flight [...], i.e. the prototype of the modern stratosphere rockets and also military rockets containing devices which caused them to rotate in flight" (Partington).
Philip, p. 58 F 110.3; STCN (4 copies); cf. Partington, A History of Greek Fire and Gunpowder, p. 177.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Black Dog Rare Books (NL)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Traité des feux d'artifice.
- Frezier, Amédée-François
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- J. Neaulme
- Place of Publication
- The Hague
- Date published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Science & Technology;
Terms of Sale
Black Dog Rare Books
About the Seller
About Black Dog Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The paste-down is the portion of the endpaper that is glued to the inner boards of a hardback book. The paste-down forms an...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]