A Treatise on the Culture of the Vine, exhibiting new and advantageous methods of propagating, cultivating, and training that plant, so as to render it absolutely fruitful. Together with New Hints on the Formation of Vineyards in England.
by Speechly, William
- See item description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
The second edition with additions. Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme. London.  G. Woodfall, Printer, Paternoster Row to verso of half title. Octavo. Half title, Title, xv, 300, (21), (bl.), (1), (1)pp. 6 folding engraved plates. Later half calf, marbled boards, spine in six compartments, leather label, gilt lettering, rules and embellishment. Minor corner chips to half-title. Short closed fold tear to Plate I. Toned with some light offsetting of plates, foxing/browning to index.
This edition has an additional plate to the 1790 edition, plus additional material. The plates are each dated September 1, 1805.
Significant to the library of the vine. A handsome volume.
William Speechly (1723 – 1819), gardener to the Duke of Portland at Welbeck Abbey, Nottinghamshire. ODNB.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- A Treatise on the Culture of the Vine, exhibiting new and advantageous methods of propagating, cultivating, and training that plant, so as to render it absolutely fruitful. Together with New Hints on the Formation of Vineyards in England.
- Speechly, William
- Book condition
- Used - See item description
- Quantity available
- Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- nd 
- Viticulture, Wine, Vineyards, Grape, Vine
- Bookseller catalogs
- Science; Natural HIstory; Gardening; Christmas gift ideas; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- half title
- The blank front page which appears just prior to the title page, and typically contains only the title of the book, although, at...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined...[more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- Marbled boards
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]