UNTRIMMED PRESS SHEET OF SENDAK BOOK ILLUSTRATIONS 19 X 15" COLOR [FROM SENDAK'S PRIVATE ARCHIVES] FOR "PENTHESILEA,"
by Maurice Sendak/heinrich Von Kleist
- Fine with no dust jacket
VINELAND, New Jersey, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Harper Collins?. Fine with no dust jacket. c1997. First Edition. Comic book. art; Color Illustrations; Elephant Folio 23" tall; 1 pages; UNTRIMMED PRESS SHEET OF SENDAK BOOK ILLUSTRATIONS 19 X 15" COLOR [FROM SENDAK'S PRIVATE ARCHIVES] FOR "PENTHESILEA". Untrimmed press sheet of Maurice Sendak illustrations shown in the corresponding image (s). This is the complete series of 12 full-page illustrations to Heinrich von Kleist's tragedy "Penthesilea," printed in full color and published in book form 1998 by HarperCollins. This full sheet, printed only on one side and measures 19 x 25 inches, each design 4-5/8 x 3-1/4 inch arranged in four columns of three, with a vertical color-strip at the right fore-edge for accurate reproduction of the artist's original pencil and watercolor images. Whether this was intended for binding up into book format with the printed text or for use in creating a separate suite of images (for a deluxe edition, which was never produced) , we do not know, but it comes directly from the artist and is a wonderful curiosity filled with powerfully charged images as only Mr Sendak can create. The story is about an army of Amazons who set out to conquer Greek heroes for the purpose of impregnating themselves to bring forth new females to inhabit their all-woman state. They arrive in the midst of the Trojan War and totally confuse both Greeks and Trojans as to their intended mission, briefly forcing their enemies into an alliance for self-preservation. Then Achilles the Greek meets Penthesilea, Queen of the Amazons, and traditional roles reverse as Achilles is now the intended victim in a tragedy of love and war. This would be a great addition to any Sendak collection, though please be aware that these pictures show nudity and adult situations and are not intended for children. An unusual and powerful work by Sendak. Red objects in the picture are positioning magnets. .
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- poor mans books (US)
- Seller's Inventory #
- UNTRIMMED PRESS SHEET OF SENDAK BOOK ILLUSTRATIONS 19 X 15" COLOR [FROM SENDAK'S PRIVATE ARCHIVES] FOR "PENTHESILEA,"
- Maurice Sendak/heinrich Von Kleist
- Comic book
- Book Condition
- Used - Fine with no dust jacket
- First Edition
- Harper Collins?
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
poor mans books
14 days satisfaction guaranteed, period. NO foreign checks or money orders except for Postal Money Orders.
About the Seller
Biblio member since 2003
VINELAND, New Jersey
Ask Seller a Question
About poor mans books
We focus on rare and obscure material at highly competitive prices.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description. Further,...
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...