A VIEW OF THE NEW ENGLAND ILLUMINATI: Who Are Indefatigable Engaged In Destroying The Religion And Government Of The United States; under a feigned regard for their safety-and under an impious abuse of true religion
by (Ogden, John Cosens)
- very good
- Very Good
Rougemont, North Carolina, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Philadelphia: Printed by James Carey, 1799. 1st Edition. Leather. Very Good. 8vo - over 7¾ - 9¾" tall. 1st edition. A Very Good copy. 8vo., 20 pp. Bound in new full brown morocco, with leather title label and separate date label on spine in gilt. Lacking any original end papers; with new end papers. Title page moderately brown, but the rest of the text with only occasional light foxing. A Very Good copy, of the scarce first edition, in a handsome, full leather binding. Evans 36009. *** Attributed to John Cosens Ogden by Evans. The American Antiquarian Society copy is inscribed: Presented by the author John C. Ogden. A second Evans entry (Evans 35270) list the work under James Carey, to whom the copyright was issued as proprietor. This being the 1st edition, with out any mention of a second edition. *** Born in New Jersey in 1751, Ogden was a Yale graduate, who was often at a war of words with Yale President Timothy Dwight. Ogden believed Dwight was trying to establish Congregationalism as New England's 'official' religion, with Dwight as its "Pope". When Dwight and other Federalists tortuously exposed the mythical Bavarian illuminati as the international revolutionary conspiracy behind Republicanism, Ogden turned the charge back upon its authors. He wrote of the "New England Illuminati"-the men who conspired to suppress liberty and retain power in Connecticut and other states. An excellent example of the fierce political fighting between the Federalists, represented by John Adams and the Republicans, represented by Thomas Jefferson, which culminated with the election of bitter election of 1800.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Frey Fine Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- A VIEW OF THE NEW ENGLAND ILLUMINATI: Who Are Indefatigable Engaged In Destroying The Religion And Government Of The United States; under a feigned regard for their safety-and under an impious abuse of true religion
- (Ogden, John Cosens)
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity Available
- 1st Edition
- Printed by James Carey
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Duncan, History, Illuminati, United States, New England, Religion, 18th Century, connecticut, John Adams, Jefferson, Federalists, republicans, election, 1800.
Terms of Sale
Frey Fine Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio member since 2019
Rougemont, North Carolina
Ask Seller a Question
About Frey Fine Books
Antiquarian bookseller, with over 15 years experience.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"...