by JIN, Ha
- Very fine in very fine dust jacket./very fine dust jacket.
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
Standard Delivery: 7 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
New York: Pantheon, 1999. Signed on the title page and dated Nov. 4, 1999 by the author. First edition / First printing. Black paper spine, black paper-covered boards. Very fine in very fine dust jacket. Winner of the National Book Award and the PEN/Faulkner Award.
Jīn Xuěfēi is a contemporary Chinese-American writer using the pen name Ha Jin. He was born in Liaoning, China. The novel, Waiting , won the National Book Awards in 1999. This moving and deeply ironic novel centers on the lives of three people. It begins in the year 1963 and stretches over a twenty-year span in China during the Cultural Revolution. Lin Kong, a deeply flawed, devoted army doctor; his humble wife Shuyu, whom his family chose for him when he was young, and Lin Kong’s girlfriend, an educated modern nurse, Manna Wu. For years he has asked his wife for a divorce, and for years she agrees, then backs out before the divorce can take place. The book contrasts city and country life, modern life with traditional, all colored with the restrictions that are part of living under communist law. Written with extraordinary precision, depth and grace, Ha Jin does not disappoint.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Orpheus Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- JIN, Ha
- Black paper spine, black paper-covered boards.
- Book condition
- Used - Very fine in very fine dust jacket.
- Jacket condition
- very fine dust jacket.
- Quantity available
- First edition / First printing.
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- Place of Publication
- New York:
- Date published
- 309 pages.
- Bookseller catalogs
- Alternative History Fiction; Fiction;
Terms of Sale
Check, Money Order, or Cashiers Check with order unless credit has been established. Credit cards are accepted through PayPal and the Biblio site. Books may be reserved by telephone (425-351-6959) or Email (email@example.com) and will be held for 1 week pending payment in full. Note: When we state First Edition we are speaking of a First Printing. We strongly recommend that you call or Email to reserve books prior to sending payment via mail. Please telephone between the hours of 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Pacific Time. Make Checks Payable To: Orpheus Books. Washington state residents must include 9.5% sales tax. International orders must be paid in U.S. currency and will be shipped at different rates. We ship via the U.S. postal service, FedEx and UPS unless other arrangements are made. If you select surface mail, it will be shipped via media rate. Oversize and heavy shipments will accrue additional charges. Returns may be made within 7 days of receipt and must be insured at full value and received in the same condition as when sent. Prior notice of return is appreciated.
About the Seller
About Orpheus Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...[more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]