Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Second edition. 4 x 6.25 inches. In two volumes. Volume 1 - lii, 143 pp. Small portrait of Walpole on title page. Fold-out fac simile of the handwriting of Gray the poet, and of Horace Walpole, Earl of Orford, opposite title page. Preface, Biographical Sketch in Fugitive Crayons of Horace Walpole, Earl of Orford, Walpoliana. Volume II - 182 pp + 23 pp index. Vignette of Strawberry Hill on title page. An autobiographical collection by Horace Walpole, Earl of Orford - "a lounging miscellany, a mere transcript of literary chit-chat". A haphazard collection of anecdotes, remarks, & letters by Walpole. "To borrow a metaphor from his favourite art, the slightest sketch by a master-painter will always be highly valued by connoisseurs". Vol I - spots of browning on title page. Both volumes - Stamp of 'Minerva Rooms, Cork' on title, fold-out facsimile, preface page and occasionally in text. Internally clean and bright. Previous owner's nameplate on fep and small signature at top of title page. A small amount of insect damage in bottom margin of text of volume II (mostly just two holes). Both volumes bound with leather spines and marbled hard paper boards. Gilt lettering on spines. Large sections of spine of Vol I missing. Leather at edges of spine of Vol II much rubbed. Rubbing to edges, corners and surfaces of marbled boards. Overall condition internally VG but boards only Good-.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Owl Books (IE)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Walpole, Horace & Pinkerton, John (editor):
- Book condition
- London: R. Phillips, n.d.
- Horace Walpole
Terms of Sale
Prices are in Euros. Postage and Packing are at cost. Any item found unsatisfactory may be returned provided this is done within 7 days of receipt. We accept payment in Euros or Sterling equivalent (cheques payable to Owl Books). We also accept payment by Visa/Mastercard.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2004
Ask Seller a Question
About Owl Books
Owl Books is located in Kinlough, Co. Leitrim in the north-west of Ireland.We stock a wide range of topics including Natural History, Country Sports, General Literature, Travel and Topography, Religious and Modern Firsts. We welcome any enquiries.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- Very Good condition can describe a used book that does show some small signs of wear - but no tears - on either binding or...[more]
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- An exact copy of an original work. In books, it refers to a copy or reproduction, as accurate as possible, of an original...[more]
- Marbled boards
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- A decorative design or illustration placed at the beginning or end of a ...[more]