Wanderings in South America, The North West of the United States and The Antilles, In The Years 1812, 1820, &1824; With original instructions for the perfect preservation of Birds, Etc. for Cabinets of Natural History.
by Waterton, Charles
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
New Edition. Edited, with Biographical Introduction and Explanatory Index, by the Rev. J. G. Wood. With One Hundred Illustrations. Macmillan and Co. London. 1889. Octavo. xvi, 520pp. Numerous text engravings. Full calf Prize Binding by T. Brear and Co. Ltd., Bradford. Spine in six compartments with gilt tooling, gilt lettering, raised bands and red leather label. Coat of Arms vignette in gilt to upper board. Border edge tooling to boards. Blind edge tooling and inner tooling. Marbled edges and matching endpapers. Bradford Grammar School Prize bookplate awarded to D.G. Ackroyd dated 1892 to fep. Binder's plate to fep. Spotting to endpapers. Small torn loss to edge of ffep. Corners bumped and rubbed. Spine slightly faded with a little age discolouration and marks to leather boards.
[D. G. Ackroyd, Textile mill owner, became the First President of the Bradford Cricket League in 1909. In November 1930 he represented the British Worsted Spinners Federation in Turin and Rome at the Wool Trade Conferences and Settlement of the European Wool Trade disputes.]
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Wanderings in South America, The North West of the United States and The Antilles, In The Years 1812, 1820, &1824; With original instructions for the perfect preservation of Birds, Etc. for Cabinets of Natural History.
- Waterton, Charles
- See description and photographs
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Macmillan and Co.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Macoushi Indians, Antigua, Barbados, South America, Caribbean, Taxidermy, Prize Binding
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Natural HIstory; Americas and Caribbean; Christmas gift ideas; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...[more]
- A decorative design or illustration placed at the beginning or end of a ...[more]
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- A common abbreviation for Front Free EndPaper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]