Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
This first edition of Forster's first novel is a true rarity. Bound in original blue cloth with black title to front and gilt to spine, there is some general wear to the binding and fading to the spine, partly erasing the E of the author's name and publishing details at base. Inspite of this, the book remains in smart condition.
Inside, the pages are clean and bright with just some light toning and age spotting. There is a neat ownership inscription to half title.The hinges are weakening and open at title page and rear board, otherwise the stitching is tight and pages are clean and smart.
The book is housed in a specially made clam shell case, which is in excellent condition and very smart indeed.
In all, this is a handsome example of this very rare first novel of E. M. Forster, a true collector's item and it would sit well on any shelf.
Where Angels Fear to Tread (1905) follows two women to Italy: the widowed Lilia Herriton and her traveling companion Caroline Abbott. Lilia falls passionately in love with the country, and also with a young Italian man. Her decision to remain in Italy enrages her dead husband's family, who send her brother-in-law to fetch her back.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Everlasting Editions (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Where Angels Fear To Tread
- E. M. Forster
- Book condition
- Used - Good+
- Quantity available
- first Edition
- William Blackwood & Sons
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Forster, where, angel, fear, tread, longest, journey, howard, end, first, edition, novel, literature, vintage, old, book, collection,
- Bookseller catalogs
- Modern First Editions; Literature Firsts;
Terms of Sale
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Everlasting Editions
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- half title
- The blank front page which appears just prior to the title page, and typically contains only the title of the book, although, at...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- A term used to denote a condition a slight grade better than Good.
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]