Thomas Rare Books
Yaxley, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Thomas Rare Books specializes in Antiquarian, Maps, Maritime, Music, Nautical, Naval Architecture.
Search the inventory of Thomas Rare Books
About Thomas Rare Books
Out-of-print books and maps
Biblio Member Since2005
Thomas Rare Books
Valley Farm House
Old Ipswich RoadYaxley IP23 8BX GBR
Phone: +44  1379 783288
Terms of sale for Thomas Rare Books
7 day return if mis-described
Payment Methods Accepted
Browse Thomas Rare Books by Category
- Antiques & collectibles
- British Topography
- Folio Society
- Food and drink
- Modern First
- Mystery and Crime
- Natural History
- Nautical & Maritime
- Needlework and Lace
- Private Press
- Science fiction
Interview with Gwyn Thomas of Thomas Rare Books
- When did you get started in bookselling?
- I first started trading in 1988 and traveling the length of breadth of Great Britain selling at book fair small and large, international and local. I joined the PBFA and opened a shop near the City of Durham in 1990. In 1996 we moved to Suffolk to be nearer my elderly parents and started trading as one of the first dealers in the UK on Abebooks.com and then Biblio.com. Once the internet took off I ceased travelling to book fairs and become an internet seller exclusively. We now sell all over the world and each month increase our stock in size and quality.
- What drew you to bookselling?
- I've always collected books and having a young family saw me working from home while my wife worked full-time. The attraction of working from home and running a 2 acre small holding as well as performing as a musician in the evenings has been possible with the flexibility of trading 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.
- What are your specialties as a dealer?
- We cover all areas of collecting especially, antiquarian, cartography and music scores.
- What's the most amazing book you've ever sold?
- All book are amazing!! The high priced and rare items are the target but we come across rarities and treasures at all price-levels. Every week we make discoveries!!
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- No travelling anymore!!
- Do you have an open storefront or have you in the past?
- Our shop near Durham was at the end of traditional bookselling that had spanned centuries but the internet is really exciting.
- If so, do/did you have any bookstore pets?
- No pets in the old shop.....
- What is the funniest / strangest / scariest thing that ever happened in your store?
- A man hung around for a couple of hours and then at about 3.30 pm he went out without buying a book and robbed the local bank just around the corner!! He was never seen again.
- What do you personally like to read? Collect?
- Haven't got time to read!!
- What's your favorite book you personally own? Would you sell it, if the price were right?
- The Penguin Book of English Folk Songs ed. RVW
- What one book would you buy if price were no object?
- Whatever it was I would try to sell it. That's the nature of being a seller.
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring three books, what would they be?
- An atlas, How to build a ship, and my memoirs [to be written on the desert island]