Seneca, South Carolina, USA
Community Bookstore specializes in Antiquarian Science Books, Extensive Vintage And Collectible Paperbacks, Rare And Collectible Books Of All Genres.
Search the inventory of Community Bookstore
About Community Bookstore
Community Bookstore sells only the highest quality, primarily first edition books. We have sold books for more than ten years and give to our community generously.
Biblio Member Since2019
Seneca, SC 29672 USA
Terms of sale for Community Bookstore30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives mis-described or damaged.
Please pay within three days of sale and we will do all we can to ship your book out immediately.
Payment Methods Accepted
Interview with Carl E Heltzel of Community Bookstore
- When did you get started in bookselling?
- It was around 2013; I had suffered a auto collision that ended my 20-year college teaching career. I thought I wanted to open a small bookstore in South Carolina, but never did.
- What drew you to bookselling?
- I love books.
- Did you have any mentors in becoming a bookseller?
- What are your specialties as a dealer?
- First edition, signed, and collectible books. Antiquarian science-based books also.
- What's the most amazing book you've ever sold?
- It wasn't a book, there were the first two issues of the art magazine, Verve. They were both extraordinary.
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- Making people happy when they acquire a book they really want. I sold two over-sized counter copies of Vogue sewing catalogs recently. The buyer told me that they are used to entertain children while they are going through chemotherapy. That broke my heart.
- Do you have an open storefront or have you in the past?
- If so, do/did you have any bookstore pets?
- What is the funniest / strangest / scariest thing that ever happened in your store?
- What is your favorite bookshop (other than your own)?
- Black Swan Books in Lexington, KY
- What do you personally like to read? Collect?
- Read: (auto)biographies, mostly of artists that were intense. Mozart (Sacred and Profane), so many others. I like to read John Irving, Kurt Vonnegut, Richard Brautigan, Hemingway, Kerouac, lyrics by Dylan and Sting. I collect but don't read: Stephen King, Julia Child, John Grisham, etc. I also have a lot of vintage chemistry and science books.
- What's your favorite book you personally own? Would you sell it, if the price were right?
- My first edition Hemingway books. I would not sell them.
- What one book would you buy if price were no object?
- One the Road
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring three books, what would they be?
- The AA Big Book, a big, fat dictionary, and a blank one to write and draw in.