Shelley and Son Books
Hendersonville, North Carolina, USA
Shelley and Son Books specializes in C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien And The Inklings, First Edition Library, Modern Library.
Search the inventory of Shelley and Son Books
About Shelley and Son Books
We specialize in books by and about C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, the Inklings, and their Friends.
Shelley and Son Books
Terms of sale for Shelley and Son Books
I offer a full refund if not satisfied as long as the book is returned in the same condition as sent.
Payment Methods Accepted
Browse Shelley and Son Books by Category
- Antiques & Collectibles
- Business & Economics
- Civil War
- Cooking, Food, & Wine
- Foreign Language
- Games & Entertainment
- Health & Fitness
- Magazines & Periodicals
- New England
- New York
- North Carolina
- Old West
- Primitive Baptist
- Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Horror
- Sexuality & Gender
- Social Science
- South Carolina
- Travel & Exploration
- World War II
Interview with Stan Shelley of Shelley and Son Books
- When did you get started in bookselling?
- About 2000
- What drew you to bookselling?
- I have always been a reader. I had an auction business and sold a fine collection of Arthur Conan Doyle material, then later I auctioned an entire rare book store. I was hooked.
- Did you have any mentors in becoming a bookseller?
- Chan Gordon of Captain's Bookshelf in Asheville has been very kind and helpful.
- What are your specialties as a dealer?
- I specialize in CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien & their Inklings writers group. Correspondingly I specialize in "The Seven" - the seven authors carried by the Wade Research Center at Wheaton College. Those seven writers are CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien, Charles Williams, Dorothy L. Sayers, GK Chesterton, George MacDonald and Owen Barfield.
- What's the most amazing book you've ever sold?
- A British first edition of the seven volumes of the Chronicles of Narnia, all in dust jackets.
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- Buying a big private library and then opening the boxes to see, in detail, what I got.
- Do you have an open storefront or have you in the past?
- What is your favorite bookshop (other than your own)?
- Atlanta Vintage Books
- What do you personally like to read? Collect?
- The only thing I collect is Larry McMurtry books. I try to read half nonfiction and half fiction. I like books by and about CS Lewis, religion, history and politics. On the fiction side I love Michael Connelly and Lee Child.
- What's your favorite book you personally own? Would you sell it, if the price were right?
- A signed first of Carl Sandburg poetry in perfect condition. Also first edition of the four volume set of Jefferson's memoirs published by his grandson in 1829.
- What one book would you buy if price were no object?
- First edition of Frankenstein.
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring three books, what would they be?
- Bible. Les Miserable. Abolition of Man by CS Lewis.