The Reading Room CLE
Garfield Heights, Ohio, USA
Search the inventory of The Reading Room CLE
About The Reading Room CLE
We are a nonprofit bookstore that funds literary and literacy programs in Cleveland, Ohio. Thank you for your support!
Biblio Member Since2019
The Reading Room CLE
4687 E 88th StreetGarfield Heights, OH 44125 USA
Terms of sale for The Reading Room CLE30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
Payment Methods Accepted
Interview with L.S. Quinn of The Reading Room CLE
- When did you get started in bookselling?
- What drew you to bookselling?
- I have always loved reading, and Cleveland's future depends on literacy. Our store's work funds literary and literacy programs that are designed to create a better future for our city.
- Did you have any mentors in becoming a bookseller?
- I have been grateful for help from Nicole Magistro, who leads The Bookworm of Edwards, and from Elizabeth Derrico, who taught me about nonprofit leadership.
- What are your specialties as a dealer?
- We are the Helga Hufflepuff of bookstores. We will take "the rest." Our collection is, as I write this, remarkably strong on midcentury American politics, because of a bequest from an historian. But we might receive a feminist library tomorrow, or a collection of art books the day after that. We ask our donors not to give us moldy books, but we can find a home for anything!
- What's the most amazing book you've ever sold?
- The first book we ever sold was a biography of President William McKinley. I am originally from Canton, Ohio, where his memorial is, and am distantly related to him. But seeing that book was the first time I actually wanted to learn more about him--and I had to ship it out the door to the buyer!
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- Every day is different; every day is exciting; I go to bed exhausted but thrilled, every single day.
- Do you have an open storefront or have you in the past?
- Our vision is to be one bookstore for one city. Our office is on the east side of Cleveland; our warehouse is in an inner-ring suburb; we host events throughout Greater Cleveland and publish online.
- If so, do/did you have any bookstore pets?
- Our Proprietress, Cha Cha, is a fox terrier who would be outragedat the word "pet." You can find her book review vlog on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnqdiEO1pyzzIc9qaqcPDCA
- What is the funniest / strangest / scariest thing that ever happened in your store?
- One of our books was booknapped repeatedly and kept resurfacing and disappearing. It traveled around Cleveland for nine months, in a hardcover picaresque, before it finally got mailed.
- What is your favorite bookshop (other than your own)?
- Open Books in Chicago!
- What do you personally like to read? Collect?
- My favorite author is Sarah Rees Brennan. I will buy any book of hers. If I already have a copy, I will foist it on someone else. They are always grateful!
- What's your favorite book you personally own? Would you sell it, if the price were right?
- I was gifted an obscure Alcott, Lulu's Library, when I was 13. It's not beautiful or all that rare, but I loved receiving it. I could never sell it.
- What one book would you buy if price were no object?
- On the Errors of the Trinity by Michael Servetus
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring three books, what would they be?
- The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen