Manual of the Temperance Society; Dedicated to the Youth of Canada . . . Translated from the French by Pierre Octave Démary, Student at Law . . . First English Edition.
by [CONCRETE POETRY]. Chiniquy, Rev. C. [Charles]
- Upper wrapper and first four leaves stained; some light wear and soiling; a good copy.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Standard Delivery: 7 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
The edition in French, Manuel de la société de Tempérance, was published the same year—and published while Chiniquy was a leading force for Canadian temperance, and indeed while he was still both a Roman Catholic priest and a Canadian. (He later emigrated to Illinois, left the church, and became an anti-Catholic Protestant activist.) Besides a wealth of anecdotal content on the antics of Canadian drunkards (and those who had reformed), the rear wrapper also includes a typographical-graphic concrete prose poem, "The Drunkard's Tree," a characteristic piece that to the squinting optimist anticipates perhaps Apollinaire.
Modern bookplate on the inside front wrapper, with that owner's modern ink signature on the title page. Upper wrapper and first four leaves stained; some light wear and soiling; a good copy.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Garrett Scott, Bookseller (ABAA) (US)
- Seller Inventory #
- Manual of the Temperance Society; Dedicated to the Youth of Canada . . . Translated from the French by Pierre Octave Démary, Student at Law . . . First English Edition.
- [CONCRETE POETRY]. Chiniquy, Rev. C. [Charles]
- Book condition
- Used - Upper wrapper and first four leaves stained; some light wear and soiling; a good copy.
- Quantity available
- First edition in English.
- Lovell & Gibson, Printers, St. Nicholas Street
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Canadian; Temperance; Anti-Catholic;
Terms of Sale
Garrett Scott, Bookseller (ABAA)
All items guaranteed as described. All items subject to prior sale. All items may be returned within 30 days for any reason in the condition in which they were sent (unless damaged in shipment) though we ask the courtesy of prior notification. Institutional customers may ask for deferred billing; we will happily hold material for institutions until they can take shipment. Please inquire.
About the Seller
About Garrett Scott, Bookseller (ABAA)
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- The paper covering on the outside of a paperback. Also see the entry for pictorial wraps, color illustrated coverings for...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]