ON THE GHOSTLY ALL HALLOWED EAV CREEPING SQUEEKING SNEEKING IN OLD RAGES THE GUESTS OF THE KOKOON SPOOKES WILL ASSEMBLE IN THEIR DEN WHERE THEY WILL HALLUCINATE TO THE WOOZY WAIL OF SPECTRAL SPOOKY OLD MAN HALLOWEEN ... [caption title]
by [Kokoon Arts Club]; [Auguste Leysens?]
- very good
- Very good
Brooklyn, New York
Standard Delivery: 7 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Poster invitation for Cleveland's Kokoon Arts Club's 1926 Halloween party, featuring a lantern-bearing ghoul unlocking the door to a subterranean chamber. The Kokoon Club, base of much of Cleveland's early-20th-century bohemia and avant garde, was widely known during its heyday for its wild and elaborately designed social events. For a number of years, members would compete to design the poster invitation for the large annual Bal Masque held early in the year. The more intimate Halloween parties generated a handful of smaller posters during the 1920s and early 1930s, at least four of which were almost certainly made by the same artist.
The present example is the first of that group, inviting guests to the club headquarters at 2121 East 21st Street on Saturday, October 30. The location and day of the week correspond to 1926, four years before the club moved to a new location at East 40th Street. A clue in a later year's invitation points to the artist as Auguste "Gus" Leysens (1888-1946), a Brussels-born lithographer and active member of the club from 1925 through the 1930s.
Rare, with the only known institutional copy at Kent State University.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- W. C. Baker Rare Books & Ephemera (US)
- Seller Inventory #
- ON THE GHOSTLY ALL HALLOWED EAV CREEPING SQUEEKING SNEEKING IN OLD RAGES THE GUESTS OF THE KOKOON SPOOKES WILL ASSEMBLE IN THEIR DEN WHERE THEY WILL HALLUCINATE TO THE WOOZY WAIL OF SPECTRAL SPOOKY OLD MAN HALLOWEEN ... [caption title]
- [Kokoon Arts Club]; [Auguste Leysens?]
- Book condition
- Used - Very good
- Quantity available
- First Edition
- Place of Publication
- [Cleveland, Ohio]
- Date published
- Ohio, Cleveland, art, design, lithography, modernism, avant garde, Halloween, monsters, ephemera, broadside, poster
Terms of Sale
W. C. Baker Rare Books & Ephemera
7 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 7 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. Items must be returned in the same condition in which they were received.
About the Seller
About W. C. Baker Rare Books & Ephemera
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Bibliography of American Literature (commonly abbreviated as BAL in descriptions) is the quintessential reference work for any...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]