IS THAT ALL THERE IS? THE STRANGE LIFE OF PEGGY LEE.
by Gavin, James (Lee, Peggy)
Standard Delivery: 5 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
From the first Arab-Islamic Empire of the mid-seventh century to the Ottomans, the last great Muslim empire, the story of the Middle East has been the story of the rise and fall of universal empires and, no less important, of imperialist dreams. So argues Efraim Karsh in this highly provocative book. Rejecting the conventional Western interpretation of Middle Eastern history as an offshoot of global power politics, Karsh contends that the region's experience is the culmination of long-existing indigenous trends, passions and patterns of behaviour, and that foremost among these is Islam's millenarian imperial tradition. The author explores the history of Islam's imperialism and the persistence of the Ottoman imperialist dream that outlasted World War I to haunt Islamic and Middle Eastern politics to the present day. September 11 can be seen as simply the latest expression of this dream, and such attacks have little to do with U.S. international behaviour or policy in the Middle East, says Karsh. The House of Islam's war for world mastery is traditional, indeed venerable, and it is a quest that is far from over.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Balcony Books and Records (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- IS THAT ALL THERE IS? THE STRANGE LIFE OF PEGGY LEE.
- Gavin, James (Lee, Peggy)
- Hard Cover
- Book condition
- Used - Fine/Fine Dust Jacket
- First Edition
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- Atria Books
- Place of Publication
- N. Y.
- Date published
Terms of Sale
Balcony Books and Records
Fast, professional world-wide shipping.
Most dust-jackets protected by mylar jacket covers. Any book may be returned for any reason if notice given within five days of receipt of book.
All payments via credit card go through Biblio.com; Direct payments can be made using Paypal or check/money order.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...[more]
- remainder mark
- Usually an ink marking of some sort which indicates that the book was designated a remainder. In most cases, it can be found on...[more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]