British Ornithology: History of Every Known Species of British Birds
by George Graves
- very good
- Very Good/None
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
A nice set of this study of British birds, with many songbirds, game birds, owls and hawks, divers, waders, and sea birds.
Second edition of first two volumes (originally published in parts from 1811 and 1821), but first edition of the complete set (the third volume first appearing in 1821).
With the title typo: British Ornithology, Being the History, with a Coloured Representation, of Every Kown [sic] Species of British Birds.
George Graves (1784-1839), FLS, was an English publisher, artist, engraver and colourist who worked on botanical and ornithological works. Apart from British Birds (1811-1821), he also wrote and illustrated Ovarium Britannicum (1816), The Naturalist's Pocket Book (1817), and A Monograph on British Grasses (1822). From 1817, he oversaw the hand-colouring and publishing with William Jackson Hooker of Curtis' Flora Londinensis (1817-1828), bankrupting himself in the process.
Bound in green morocco with five raised bands, gilt tooling on the spines, red leather title and volume labels.
Bookplate of Henry Francis Makins, 1841-1914, younger brother of Sir William Thomas Makins, 1st Baronet.
Some slight scuffing to the bindings, light spotting to a few text pages and plates. Front board attached by threads only on Vol. 2. Overall, very good with good etching impressions and delicate hand-colour that look more like water-colours.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Florilegius (JP)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- British Ornithology
- George Graves
- George Graves
- Full green morocco, gilt spines, red title labels
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Jacket Condition
- Quantity Available
- William and Samuel Graves
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Octavo, 24 x 14.5cm
- George Graves, British Ornithology, Samuel Howitt, Sydenham Edwards, British Birds, engraving, hand-coloured, ornithology, birds, natural history,
- Bookseller catalogs
- Natural History;
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Raised Band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created in the...
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
Join the Bibliophiles’ Club and start saving 10% on every book.
$29.95 / Year