CHAMPAGNE: its history, manufacture, properties, etc. With some prefatory remarks upon wine and wine merchants.
by TOVEY, Charles.:
- See description
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London, John Camden Hotten, 1870.. FIRST EDITION 1870, 8vo, frontispiece map of the wine districts of Champagne, engraved extra title page with views of Chateau Margaux and Chateau Lafitte, grape harvesting and pressing, wine cellars, bottles and barrels, 7 plates showing views of Champagne, bottling, chateaux, 2 illustrations in the text, pages: iv, (iii*)-iv*, v-vii, (1), 140, plus 16 page advert, bound in original publisher's green grain cloth, blind ruled border to covers, gilt lettered spine, gilt bunch of grapes vignette beneath author's name, original light grey cream lined endpapers. Book leaning slightly, tiny nicks to head and tail of spine, corners very slightly worn with tips of boards just showing, neat modern bookplate on front pastedown, margins to frontispiece map and engraved title page lightly foxed, tiny closed tear to lower edge of page 3, neat old repaire, small stain to bottom of pastedowns and free endpapers to front and rear, occasional small pale stain to lower margins, a few fox spots to margins of 1 plate, a couple of pale marks to inner margins of pages 80 and 81, light browning to pages 130 and 131 due to something formerly laid in the book, all easily legible, otherwise a good clean copy. Extra pages (iii*)-iv* contain a postscript by the author lamenting the horrors of the war in France which devastated the areas he had visited after his return to London. Gabler, Wine into Words, page 280, G39230: MORE IMAGES ATTACHED TO THIS LISTING, ALL ZOOMABLE, FURTHER IMAGES ON REQUEST. POSTAGE AT COST.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Roger Middleton (GB)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- CHAMPAGNE: its history, manufacture, properties, etc. With some prefatory remarks upon wine and wine merchants.
- TOVEY, Charles.:
- Original publisher's cloth
- Book condition
- Place of Publication
- London, John Camden Hotten, 1870.
- Date Published
- champagne wine manufacture viticulture France French vineyards wines
Terms of Sale
We have been established booksellers for 42 years. We are a postal business only (strictly no callers). We are long-standing members of the P.B.F.A. the largest trade association for antiquarian booksellers in the UK. We wrap all our parcels in new materials and all our books are insured at our expense. Books may be returned if wrongly described, all costs will be met by us. ****PLEASE NOTE: POSTAGE WILL BE CHARGED AT COST, MEANING THAT POSTAGE WILL BE REDUCED ON PARCELS WEIGHING UNDER 1 KILO, AND IT WILL BE INCREASED ON MOST PARCELS WEIGHING MORE THAN 1 KILO****
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since 2010
Ask Seller a Question
About Roger Middleton
We are a postal business only, selling rare and antiquarian books on interesting subjects.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [More]
- A decorative design or illustration placed at the beginning or end of a ... [More]
- Foxing is the age related browning, or brown-yellowish spots, that can occur to book paper over time. When this aging process... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,... [More]
- The heel of the spine.
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [More]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former... [More]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the... [More]