Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
1589 ENORMOUS LAW Corpus Juris Civilis Justinian Codex Digest Godefroy 6v SET
"Freedom is the natural ability of everyone to do what he likes, unless it is prohibited by law or by force."
― Justinian I
Justinian's 'Corpus Juris Civilis' is unquestionably the fundamental work on law and jurisprudence! Parts of this work were originally intended to be used by law students, but they were not solely used as a textbook – they carried legal weight …as law! It includes four distinct parts – Codex, Digest, Institutes, and Novellae – each written with a different purpose.
'Digest' or 'Pandectae' is a collection of juristic treatises taken from various legal writings of Ulpian and Paulus. 'Codex' was the Justinian's attempt at organizing the laws in a systematic manner – each of these works is included in this enormous 16th-century six-volume edition.
The Godefroy editions of this iconic work were influential in the law field well into the 20th-century. While Godefroy was known as a jurist, his fame came from his edition of the 'Corpus', which went through dozens of editions into the 18th-century.
Item number: #12028
[Corpus Juris Civilis]
Lugduni: [Godefroy], 1589.
· Collation: Complete with all pages; 6 volumes
o Vol. I – , 1926, 
o Vol. II – , 2020
o Vol. III – , 2222, 
o Vol. IV – , 2204, 
o Vol. V – , 324, , , 640, , 198, ; , 564
o Vol. VI – , 378, 318, , 10, , , 198
· Language: Latin
· Binding: Leather; tight & secure
· Size: ~15.75in X 10.75in (40cm x 27cm)
· Exceedingly rare, valuable, and desirable
Very Fast. Very Safe. Free Shipping Worldwide.
Customer satisfaction is our priority! Notify us with 7 days of receiving, and we will offer a full refund without reservation!
Photos available upon request.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- [Corpus Juris Civilis]
- Leather; tight & secure
- Book condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Quantity available
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- 1589 ENORMOUS LAW Corpus Juris Civilis Justinian Codex Digest Godefroy 6v SETrare, antique, old, first edition, 1st state, provenance, signed, inscribed, dust jacket, vellum, manuscript, engravings, illustrations, leather, plates, maps, antiquarian
Terms of Sale
Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
About the Seller
About Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.