Deutsche Schachzeitung, Volume 59
by Johann Nepomuk Berger (1845-1933) and Carl Schlechter editors
- very good
- Very Good
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
viii+392 pages with frontispiece, diagrams, illustrations, tables and index. Royal octavo (9 1/4" x 6 1/4") 12 issues bound in 3/4 leather with stiff boards and gilt lettering to spine, original wrapper of first number bound in. from the library Stockholms Schachksallsap LIX (59) (Bibliotheca Van der Linde-Niemeijeriana: 6047) First edition.
Deutsche Schachzeitung was the first German chess magazine. Founded in 1846 by Ludwig Bledow under the title Schachzeitung der Berliner Schachgesellschaft, it took the name Deutsche Schachzeitung in 1872. (Another magazine used the title Deutsche Schachzeitung from 1846 to 1848.) When it ceased publication in December 1988 it was the oldest existing magazine in the world, having been published regularly since its founding in 1846 except for a five-year break (1945-1949) during World War II. Since January 1989, the Deutsche Schachzeitung was merged in the Deutsche-Schachblatter - Schach-Report which was edited in Hollfeld. The resulting magazine appeared with the names of both former magazines on its cover till December 1996. Since January 1997, this magazine again was merged in the Berlin magazine Schach. The resulting magazine kept the names Schach and Schach-Report on its cover for one year, but the name Deutsche Schachzeitung had disappeared from the cover. Since 1998, the magazine appears under the simple Schach. However, the table of contents is still headed by the names Deutsche Schachzeitung, Deutsche Schachblatter and Schach-Report. The Deutsche Schachzeitung was in its prime in the first two decades of the 20th century.
Corners bumped and rubbed, spine ends rubbed, edge wear, some marginalia, book plate of "Stockholms Schachksallsap" on front paste down, else a very good copy.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- The Book Collector ABAA, ILAB, TBA (US)
- Seller's Inventory #
- Deutsche Schachzeitung, Volume 59
- Johann Nepomuk Berger (1845-1933) and Carl Schlechter editors
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity Available
- First Edition
- Verlag von Veit & Company
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- viii+392 pages with frontispiece, diagrams, illustrations, tables and index
- Royal octavo
- Chess, Ajedrez, Schach, Echecs
Terms of Sale
The Book Collector ABAA, ILAB, TBA
About the Seller
About The Book Collector ABAA, ILAB, TBA
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Marginalia, in brief, are notes written in the margins, or beside the text of a book by a previous owner. This is very...