Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Inscribed to Social Reformer Thomas Atwood
Matthew, Patrick (1790-1874). Emigration fields. 12mo. xi, , 237, pp., adverts. 2 large folding maps engraved by Sidney Hall. Edinburgh: Black. . . , 1839. 198 x 120 mm. Original cloth, gilt, rebacked preserving original backstrip, worn & spotted. Light browning but still very good.
First Edition, Inscribed by Matthew to Thomas Attwood (1783-1856) on endpaper."To Thomas Atwood M.P. Esq from P. Matthew"
This plan for British emigration to North America, Africa, Australia and New Zealand was informed by Matthew's ideas on natural selection, which he first expressed in 1831, fully anticipating Darwin. Matthew speculates on the influence of environmental conditions, for example in southern Africa, where he predicts that the native population, perfectly adapted to the climate, and now governed by a more humane colonial policy, will grow at a faster rate than the colonial population.
Matthew presented this copy to the social reformer and M. P. Thomas Attwood, who presented the Chartists' petition for universal suffrage and other democratic rights to the House of Commons in June of 1839 (see DNB).This is the only book inscribed by Patrick Matthew that we have seen on the market in more than 40 years.During the same period we have never seen an autograph letter by Matthew for sale. Thus is an extremely opportunity to obrtain Patrick Matthew's autograph, etc..
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Jeremy Norman & Co., Inc. (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Emigration fields
- Matthew, Patrick
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- ASSOCIATION OR PRESENTATION COPIES EVOLUTION ; ; evolution ; economics ; Australia ; New Zealand
Terms of Sale
Jeremy Norman & Co., Inc.
About the Seller
About Jeremy Norman & Co., Inc.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- having had the material covering the spine replaced. ...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback....[more]
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has...[more]