Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream. Illustrated by Ralph Steadman.
by THOMPSON, Hunter S
- See description
London, United Kingdom
Bibliophiles Club Membership
Standard delivery: 7 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
"Written in the voice of Thompson's alter ego, Raoul Duke, a cynical, chain-smoking, whiskey-guzzling, gun-loving connoisseur of illicit drugs, [Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas] chronicled the chemically enhanced adventures of Duke and his companion, Dr. Gonzo, as they explored the crassness of American culture" (ANB). It is Thompson's most famous book, and its blend of fact and fiction initiated a new genre called "gonzo journalism", which rejected objectivity and placed the writer or reporter at the centre of the story. Octavo. Original black quarter cloth, spine lettered in silver, grey boards with Ralph Steadman design to front cover in blind. With dust jacket. Illustrated title page and 19 line drawings by Steadman. A fine copy in very good jacket with light soiling, tidemark and minor creasing at extremities.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream is a novel by Hunter S. Thompson, illustrated by Ralph Steadman. The book is a roman à clef, rooted in autobiographical incidents. The story follows its protagonist, Raoul Duke, and his attorney, Dr. Gonzo, as they descend on Las Vegas to chase the American Dream through a drug-induced haze. The novel first appeared as a two-part series in Rolling Stone magazine in 1971, was printed as a book the same year, and was later adapted into a film of the same name in 1998 starring Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro. According to The New York Times, Fear and Loathing "cemented Mr. Thompson's place as a singular presence in American journalism or, as he once called himself, 'a connoisseur of edge work.'"
Read More: Identifying first editions of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Peter Harrington (GB)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- THOMPSON, Hunter S
- Book Condition
- Place of Publication
- New York: Random House,
- Date Published
Terms of Sale
All major credit cards are accepted. Both UK pounds and US dollars (exchange rate to be agreed) accepted. Books may be returned within 14 days of receipt for any reason, please notify first of returned goods.
About the Seller
About Peter Harrington
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...