Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
The Handmaid’s Tale is a dystopian novel written by Margaret Atwood in 1985 depicting a totalitarian world, known as Gilead, portraying the subjection of women in a patriarchal society. It is set in a near-future New England, illustrating a bleak portrayal of the world after the United States are overthrown by a fundamentalist group. The regime reorganized society using a peculiar interpretation of some Old Testament ideas, and a new militarized, hierarchical model of social and religious fanaticism among its newly created social classes. The novel follows the story of a young woman, Offred, who struggles to maintain an individual's identity, and the rebellion of the women in her social class, as their ability to read, write, own property, or handle money are lost. Most significantly, women are deprived of control over their own reproductive functions. Nominated for the first ever Man Booker International Prize representing the best writers in contemporary fiction, Margaret Atwood is the author of more than 35 internationally acclaimed works of fiction, poetry and critical essays. Her numerous awards include the Governor General’s Award for The Handmaid’s Tale , and The Giller Prize and Italian Premio Mondello for Alias Grace . The Handmaid’s Tale, Cat’s Eye, Alias Grace, and Oryx and Crake were all shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize, which she won with The Blind Assassin . She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, and has been awarded the Norwegian Order of Literary Merit and the French Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres among many others; she is a Foreign Honorary Member for Literature of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. She lives in Toronto.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Bren-Books.com (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Handmaid's Tale
- Atwood, Margaret
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good
- Jacket condition
- Very Good
- First Edition
- Houghton Mifflin
- Place of Publication
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Date published
- BOOK INTO FILM; one via abe 4/8/14 relist final
Terms of Sale
All books guaranteed! Full refunds given when notified within 14 business days.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Very Good Condition book with a Very Good Condition dust jacket. Very Good Condition indicates a used book that does show some...[more]
- A common abbreviation for Front Free EndPaper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]