Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First editions. 2 volumes. Sumptibus Soc. Antiq. Londinensis. Londoni. 1840, 1844. Royal 8vo. ccxxxvii, 288pp, engraved frontis., folding map, hand coloured in outline; ccxxx, 575pp, engraved frontis. Recent quarter full grained calf, cream cloth, spines with raised bands in six compartments, gilt lettering, blind tooling and rules, new endpapers. Pages untrimmed. Plates and titles spotted, small ink spot to margin I, 9. Light pencil date annotation to margins. Bookplates of David Douglas. A crisp and handsome set.
Stapleton, Thomas (1806 – 1849), antiquary, FRS, was elected a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries on 15 January 1839. His most important literary work was this edition of the rolls of the Norman exchequer, printed by the Society of Antiquaries as Magni rotuli scaccarii Normanniae sub regibus Angliae (2 vols., 1840 – 4), which 150 years later remains the authoritative edition of these important twelfth-century records. (ODNB)
"The masterly Observations on the Great Rolls of the Norman Exchequer" R.L.Poole.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Magni Rotuli Scaccarii Normanniae sub Regibus Angliae.
- Stapleton, Thomae [Thomas]
- Book condition
- Used - See item description
- Quantity available
- First editions
- Sumptibus Soc. Antiq. Londinensis.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- 1840 + 1844
- Twelfth Century, Bookplate, History, Angevin, Normandy, France, Genealogy
- Bookseller catalogs
- History; Provenance, Bookplates and Associations; Christmas gift ideas; Fine Bindings; France and French Interest;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]