La Mort d'Arthure:The History of King Arthur and of the Knights of the Round Table
by Malory, Sir Thomas; Wright, Thomas
- very good
- Very good
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Each volume with the engraved circular bookplate of Emily Morris Gallatin on the front pastedowns. The simple signature of Arthur Lewis, 1949, on each of the front free endpapers. And on the front free endpaper of volume 1 a nearly full page inscription dated 2018. Only volume 1 has been fully opened; the remaining volumes are partially unopened. Aside from the inscription and signatures, these volumes are in very good condition showing only traces of wear at the corners, edges and spine tips.
This is a curious edition. We have marked it a first edition, but not without hesitation. The first printing of this work was in 1858. The second edition, so marked on the title pages, was in 1866 (vols. 1 and 3, but still 1865 in vol. 2). (And, for completeness, there was an edition in 1889 marked Third Edition the title page.) So the publisher (and, for that matter, the bibliography) have given us three editions: 1858, 1866 and 1889. This title is dated 1865. The Introduction of 1858 is repeated in its entirety, and is followed by a single paragraph by the author dated 1865 in which he calls this a new edition, "carefully revised". Given the above we are calling this a first edition, revised.
Gaines does not list this printing. The other editions are listed at A10.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Thorn Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- La Mort d'Arthure:The History of King Arthur and of the Knights of the Round Table
- Malory, Sir Thomas; Wright, Thomas
- Book Condition
- Used - Very good
- Quantity Available
- First edition
- John Russell Smith
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
All books returnable for any reason within seven days, providing only that they are received in the same condition as shipped. Shipments to an Arizona address must add appropriate sales tax. Libraries billed.
About the Seller
About Thorn Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- A state in which all or some of the pages of a book have not been separated from the adjacent pages, caused by a traditional...
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"...
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback. Also...
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....