Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
It's 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day--July 15th--of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself.
David Nicholls trained as an actor before making the switch to writing. He is the author of two previous novels— Starter For Ten and The Understudy . He has also written many screenplays for film and television, including the feature film adaptation of Starter For Ten . He lives in London.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
One Day is the third novel by British author, screenwriter, and actor, David Nicholls. The day referred to in the title is St. Swithin’s Day, July 15th, and the narration describes what is happening in the lives of two people, Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley, each year on that day as well as referring to significant events of the preceding year. Emma and Dexter are first encountered on the day after their graduation and are followed through twenty years of life: relationships, career highs and lows, personal crises, addictions, weddings, marriages, divorces, extramarital affairs, parenthood, resounding successes and abysmal failures, loss of significant family members, loneliness, cohabitation and physical ageing all feature. Apart from straight narration, Nicholls uses letters (sent and unsent), poems, phone messages and newspaper articles to tell the story, and he cleverly creates the feel of the period with songs, books, movies, TV shows, world affairs, politics and sports. It all feels very real. Dexter and Emma have lots of depth and appeal; the supporting characters are likewise interesting. Nicholls manages to evoke plenty of laughter, but also tears (occasionally at the same time!) as well as groans and sighs. He also packs a punch that will leave the reader gasping. This is a marvellous novel that will have readers searching out other works by David Nicholls.
- Books of the World (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- One Day (Vintage Contemporaries)
- David Nicholls
- Trade Paperback
- Book condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Quantity available
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date published
- July 2010
- fiction, love stories, friendship, marriage, married, women, authors, England, Britain, United Kingdom
- Bookseller catalogs
- Fiction; Erotica; Britain; Domestic and Family Fiction;
Terms of Sale
Books of the World
About the Seller
About Books of the World
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- A term used to denote a condition a slight grade better than Good.
- trade paperback
- Used to indicate any paperback book that is larger than a mass-market paperback and is often more similar in size to a hardcover...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- remainder mark
- Usually an ink marking of some sort which indicates that the book was designated a remainder. In most cases, it can be found on...[more]