Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
The Studio of Design and Illustration. London. nd. [c.1898] Oblong quarto. 203pp. Pictorial title page signed C. Hentschel. 99 full page illustrations. All pages with a red-ruled border. Red historiated initials. Original publisher's green pictorial cloth, gilt, coloured flag. All edges gilt. Slightly bumped and rubbed to extremities. Minor spotting/toning.
Includes the "Cigarette Race". "Life on board a P&O steamer is one continual round of pictures kaleidoscopic in its quick change and variety of colour".
CARL HENTSCHEL (1864-1930) Engraving pioneer who invented the Colortype Process. Jerome K. Jerome used him as the character Harris in "Three Men in a Boat".
HARRY FURNISS (1854-1925) Anglo Irish caricaturist and illustrator.
Keywords: Peninsular and Steam Navigation Company, Ocean Travel, Smoking in Art, Caricature and Cartoons.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- P & O Sketches in Pen and Ink.
- Furniss, Harry
- HARRY FURNISS, CARL HENTSCHEL
- Book condition
- Used - See item description
- Quantity available
- The Studio of Design and Illustration Supply Agency.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Travel, Maritime, Cruise, Peninsular and Steam Navigation Company, Smoking in art, Ocean travel
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Art; Christmas gift ideas; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- The term quarto is used to describe a page or book size. A printed sheet is made with four pages of text on each side, and the...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- no publisher's date given