POEMS OF THE LATE FRANCIS S. KEY, ESQ., Author of "The Star Spangled Banner.
by Key, Francis Scott; introductory letter from Chief Justice Taney
- very good
- Very Good
Rougemont, North Carolina, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
New York: Robert Carter & Brothers, 1857. 1st Edition. Cloth. Very Good. 12mo - over 6¾ - 7¾" tall. 1st edition. A Very Good copy. 12mo., ix, (iii), (13)-203, 12 pp., with 12 pages of the publisher's advertisements at the end. Bound in the publisher's brown cloth with the title and floral decoration on the spine in gilt. Spine sunned, with lettering fading. Small area of discoloration on the rear board, near the spine's foot. Light foxing to the preliminaries. Previous owner's name, 1857 date and town in ink on the front end paper; name and 1857 date on the title page. Internally very clean and bright. Very Good. *** First appearance of the Star-Spangled Banner in book form. The name and town of the previous owner is Thomas Cowan of Chapel Hill, NC. The Cowan family is a prominent North Carolina Family, and he is likely the son of the Cowan's of Wood Grove Plantation, in Rowan County, NC. Thomas Cowan was a graduate of the University of North Carolina in 1857, and died during the Civil War (See Battle, pg 676).***.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Frey Fine Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- POEMS OF THE LATE FRANCIS S. KEY, ESQ., Author of "The Star Spangled Banner.
- Key, Francis Scott; introductory letter from Chief Justice Taney
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity Available
- 1st Edition
- Robert Carter & Brothers
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- americana, poems, Key, star, spangled, banner
Terms of Sale
Frey Fine Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio member since 2019
Rougemont, North Carolina
Ask Seller a Question
About Frey Fine Books
Antiquarian bookseller, with over 15 years experience.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Damage done to a book cover or dust jacket caused by exposure to direct sunlight. Very strong fluorescent light can cause slight...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback. Also...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...