The Poetical Romances of Tristan; Tristan: Recueil de ce qui Reste des Poëms Relatifs a Ses Aventures
by Thomas of Britanny; Michel, Francisque, ed
- very good
- Very good
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Publisher's original cloth in a small sand grain design. This is clearly Winterbottom's Type 'M' (Tomlinson). Krupp (p.30) notes this as San1, but without a Winterbottom cross-reference. She ascribes an appearance date of 1850 for this early design; to find it on books published in 1835 is a treat. That it would appear on a Pickering work should be no surprise. Pickering started experimenting with bookcloth as early as 1823 through his binder, Archibald Leighton, who was responsible for many innovations in the design and use of early bookcloth.
The text constitutes mainly the remains of Thomas of Britain's Tristan Romance, composed in the 12th and 13th centuries in Norman French and Greek, here edited and rendered in the originals by Fr. MIchel.
This is a very good set; the printed paper labels are darkened a bit and have old numerals handwritten on them. There are also what appear to be private library shelf stickers at the bases of the spines, but we have been unable to discover their provenance, nor are there any notes in the books themselves. Endpapers lightly foxed and corners bent but still sturdy in their original cloth binding.
Fairly scarce. A third volume with additional Tristan fragments was issued in 1839, not present her. There is an old note on the front free endpaper indicating that this is one of 250 copies, but we have not been able to confirm that limitation.
This is the first printed edition of Thomas of Britain. It dates from about 1170, and includes Tristan's marriage and the Hall of Statues, his return to Cornwall, and the lovers' deaths, using the motif of the sails. Reiss, Reiss & Taylor, Nrs. 930 and 956. A translation into English was issued by Pickering the same year.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Thorn Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- The Poetical Romances of Tristan; Tristan: Recueil de ce qui Reste des Poëms Relatifs a Ses Aventures
- Thomas of Britanny; Michel, Francisque, ed
- Book Condition
- Used - Very good
- Quantity Available
- First edition
- Guillaume Pickering
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Rare Books; Arthurian;
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
All books returnable for any reason within seven days, providing only that they are received in the same condition as shipped. Shipments to an Arizona address must add appropriate sales tax. Libraries billed.
About the Seller
About Thorn Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback. Also...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- Foxing is the age related browning, or brown-yellowish spots, that can occur to book paper over time. When this aging process...