Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
San Francisco: The Sierra Club, 1965. 1st Edition . Hardcover. Fine/No Jacket. Complete set of the Sierra Club Bulletin from 1893 volume 1 through 1998 volume 83. No individual issues are missing from this run. Also includes the index for the first 57 years of issues bound in matching cloth (1893 through 1949). All volumes are uniformly bound to match the Club binding of the 1950 re-issue of the first five volumes. Volumes 1 through 5 are the 1950 reprint issues. All other volumes are original first printing issues. Original wrappers (both front and rear sides) are bound-in for each issue (see photo for example). This is not an ex-library set. This set is from the collection of renowned American mountaineer Major William Hackett (1918-1999). His bookplate is mounted on the free front end-page of each volume. The volumes are in fine condition. The contents of each volume are in fine condition. No library marks except a blindstamp on the bound-in wrapper cover of the Jan 1914 issue, no writing or underlining, no foxing, all pages secure, complete with all plates and maps for each issue. Many of the larger format issues have the address label of Hackett on the bound-in front wrapper covers (this is how they were mailed, with the address label on the cover of the magazine -- not in an addressed envelope). Complete runs of the Sierra Club Bulletin are increasingly rare without library marks, rarely being offered for sale. The last time we had such a set for sale was over 30 years ago. Major Hackett, a WWII combat veteran of the 10th Mountain Division, was the first person to climb 5 of the Seven Summits, the first to climb both Denali and Logan, the first to climb the N Peak of Logan, a summiting member of Bradford Washburn's expedition that made the first ascent of the popular West Buttress route on Denali, leader of the 1960 USA K2 expedition, the first American to climb Aconcagua, and the first American to climb Mt Kenya. The set weighs over 150 pounds. SHIPPING CHARGE TO USA ADDRESSES will be only $4 (four dollars). Overseas shipping at cost (= extra billing required). PHOTOS ARE OF THE ACTUAL SET BEING OFFERED.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- JP MOUNTAIN BOOKS (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- SIERRA CLUB BULLETIN -- COMPLETE SET from 1893 volume 1 through 1998 volume 83
- The Sierra Club
- Book condition
- Used - Fine
- Jacket condition
- No Jacket
- Quantity available
- 1st Edition
- The Sierra Club
- Place of Publication
- San Francisco
- Date published
- Mountaineering, Mountain Climbing, Bergsteigen, Alpinismus, Alpinism, Alpinismo, Alpinisme, Arrampicata, sierra nevada, canadian rockies, yosemite, ansel adams, joseph le conte, john muir
- Bookseller catalogs
- CALIFORNIA Climbs and Mountains; Mountains Canada; Mountaineering;
Terms of Sale
JP MOUNTAIN BOOKS
All items are guaranteed as described. Any purchase may be returned for a full refund within 10 working days as long as it is returned in the same condition and is packed and shipped correctly. Prior notification is appreciated. All items subject to prior sale.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2018
Ask Seller a Question
About JP MOUNTAIN BOOKS
JP Mountain Books sells mountaineering books, exploration and discovery books, some polar books, books about mountains, some true adventure books, high altitude cook books.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- The paper covering on the outside of a paperback. Also see the entry for pictorial wraps, color illustrated coverings for...[more]
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...[more]
- A blindstamp is a stamped impression, usually an image, logo, words, or design on the cover or spine of a book, without color or...[more]
- Any printing of a book which follows the original edition. By definition, a reprint is not a first edition.