Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London, printed for R. Dodsley, 1740.. FIRST EDITION THUS 1740, TRANSLATED BY MR CHRISTOPHER PITT, 2 VOLUMES COMPLETE. 4to, approximately 250 x 205 mm, 10 x 8 inches, pages: viii, -294; vi, -623, page 272 misnumbered 270 in Volume 1, bound in full contemporary calf, gilt lettered labels to spines, gilt rules and volume numbers to spine, double gilt rules to edges of covers, edges speckled red. Bindings rubbed especially the hinges, tail of upper hinge has slight crack and tiny worm hole, light scratching to covers, corners slightly worn, pastedowns and endpapers age-browned, bookplate to each pastedown (Samuel Brown, Baron Waring), shallow horizontal rippling to pages, 1 page in Volume 1 has pale ink stains to upper and lower margins, occasional other minor marks to margins, otherwise text clean and crisp. HEAVY SET AND WILL REQUIRE EXTRA POSTAGE. ESTC139441. MORE IMAGES ATTACHED TO THIS LISTING, ALL ZOOMABLE, FURTHER IMAGES ON REQUEST. POSTAGE AT COST.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Roger Middleton (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- AENEID in XII BOOKS.
- VIRGILIUS, Maro Publius. PITT TRANSLATION.:
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Place of Publication
- London, printed for R. Dodsley, 1740.
- VIRGIL CLASSICS CHRISTOPHER PITT AENEID VIRGILIUS
Terms of Sale
We have been established booksellers for 42 years. We are a postal business only (strictly no callers). We are long-standing members of the P.B.F.A. the largest trade association for antiquarian booksellers in the UK. We wrap all our parcels in new materials and all our books are insured at our expense. Books may be returned if wrongly described, all costs will be met by us. ****PLEASE NOTE: POSTAGE WILL BE CHARGED AT COST, MEANING THAT POSTAGE WILL BE REDUCED ON PARCELS WEIGHING UNDER 1 KILO, AND IT WILL BE INCREASED ON MOST PARCELS WEIGHING MORE THAN 1 KILO****
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2010
Ask Seller a Question
About Roger Middleton
We are a postal business only, selling rare and antiquarian books on interesting subjects.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp...[more]
- The portion of the book closest to the spine that allows the book to be opened and closed.
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- The heel of the spine.
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]