Anne of Green Gables
by Montgomery, L. M. (Lucy Maud)
- Very Good-
Van Nuys, California, United States
Bibliophiles Club Membership
Standard delivery: 2 to 8 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Anne of Green Gables is the first novel by Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery. The story tells of the adventures of Anne Shirley, an 11-year-old orphan girl who is mistakenly sent to Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, a middle-aged brother and sister who had intended to adopt a boy to help them on their farm in Prince Edward Island. Like many of her contemporaries, Montgomery did not consider submitting her first novel to a Canadian publisher, convinced that a more lucrative deal could be made with an American firm. The novel was completed in 1905, but was rejected by four major American publishing houses, and it was not until 1907 that Montgomery found a publisher. L.C. Page & Co. finally published Anne of Green Gables in 1908. Anne of Green Gables has sold more than 50 million copies and has been translated into more than 30 languages. Following the success of her first novel, Montgomery went on to write seven more books about Anne, following the beloved protagonist through adulthood and motherhood. Several novels in the series have been adapted and made into a successful television miniseries. Montgomery museums, plays, and houses on Prince Edward Island draw international visitors.
Read More: Identifying first editions of Anne of Green Gables
For juveniles? Realy? I am 58 and always liked it. And tears drop on my cheeks every time.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Owl Creek Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Anne of Green Gables
- Montgomery, L. M. (Lucy Maud)
- M.A. and W.A.J. Claus
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good-
- Quantity Available
- First Edition
- L. C. Page and Company
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- April 1908
Terms of Sale
Owl Creek Books
About the Seller
Owl Creek Books
About Owl Creek Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Copyright page
- The page in a book that describes the lineage of that book, typically including the book's author, publisher, date of...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....