Atlas Accompanying the Case of the United States Before the Tribunal Convened at London Under the Provisions of the Treaty between the United States of America and Great Britain, Concluded January 24, 1903
by [ALASKAN BOUNDARY TRIBUNAL]
- See description
Winchester, Virginia, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Government reproductions of maps used in 1903 border disputes with Britain, showing the American claim to the land; effectively, a cartographic history of Alaska. When the U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia in 1821, it inherited a dispute over the territory's border with British Columbia. The Klondike Gold Rush of 1897-98 exacerbated tensions until the 1903 Hay-Herbert Treaty, under which the nations entered arbitration to resolve the dispute. The arbitration's conclusion favored the U.S., sparking Canadian frustration that Britain had not better defended its interests.
This atlas presents official facsimiles of the maps presented by the U.S. in the arbitration process, a few with annotations by members of the arbitration tribunal. 21 are facsimiles of historical maps from Russian, French, German, British, Canadian, and American atlases, dating between 1798 and 1863; many are depicted with facsimiles of title pages from the source atlases. The remaining four maps were produced in 1903 by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, including one depicting the locations of Native American villages along the border.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Lorne Bair Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Atlas Accompanying the Case of the United States Before the Tribunal Convened at London Under the Provisions of the Treaty between the United States of America and Great Britain, Concluded January 24, 1903
- [ALASKAN BOUNDARY TRIBUNAL]
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- First Edition
- Place of Publication
- Washington DC
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Canada; Native Americans;
Terms of Sale
Lorne Bair Rare Books
All items are offered subject to prior sale. Orders must be prepaid, though billing may be arranged for institutions and customers with established credit. Payment may be made by Check, Money Order, Paypal or by valid credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover). Any item may be returned within 10 days of receipt for full refund. Signed and manuscript items carry an unlimited guarantee of authenticity.
About the Seller
About Lorne Bair Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description. Further,...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...