A Dictionary of the English Language
by Noah Webster
- very good
- Very Good
BATH, Somerset, United Kingdom
Standard delivery: 2 to 4 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Published on 15 April 1755 and written by Samuel Johnson, A Dictionary of the English Language, sometimes published as Johnson's Dictionary, is among the most influential dictionaries in the history of the English language. There was dissatisfaction with the dictionaries of the period, so in June 1746 a group of London booksellers contracted Johnson to write a dictionary for the sum of 1,500 guineas (£1,575), equivalent to about £230,000 as of 2010.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Rooke Books (GB)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- A Dictionary of the English Language
- Noah Webster
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity Available
- Black, Young and Young
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- 11" by 8.5"
- First Edition Dictionary Leather America Dictionary
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
Books are sent on approval and may be returned in like condition for any reason within 14 days of receipt. Responsibility of return to be with the purchaser.
About the Seller
About Rooke Books
We are a small team dedicated to bringing you very scarce books at reasonable prices. We specialise in rare and hard to come by works on all subjects over the last 500 years, together with modern first editions and decorative sets and bindings. Our library has something for every interest and specialism. We deliver worldwide using a fully tracked and insured courier delivery service.
Where are We?
Based in the literary city of Bath, our offices are housed in the Eastern Dispensary. Built in 1845, the building originally existed as a charitable institution providing medical care. The building now houses our collection of over twenty thousand books and has five full time members of staff.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat the...
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- having had the material covering the spine replaced. ...