GALERIE THEATRALE, COLLECTION DE 144 PORTRAITS EN PIED DES PRINCIPAUX ACTEURS ET ACTRICES QUI ONT ILLUSTRE LA SCENE FRANCAISE DEPUIS 1552 JUSQU'A NOS JOURS
- Some of the text and about 10 of the plates are foxed, all else fine and bright. A lovely wide-margained copy
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Paris: Chez A. Barraud, 1873. Limited to 99 copies, this no. 8 (text volume numbered 54). Some of the text and about 10 of the plates are foxed, all else fine and bright. A lovely wide-margained copy. Limited to 99 copies, this no. 8 (text volume numbered 54). Folio. Three volumes in two. Unpaged. Illustrated with 144 magnificent hand-colored plates, many highlighted with gold and silver. Several of these plates are supplied from the first edition which was published serially 1812-34 (Colas 1164). This new edition is further embellished with 84 copper-plate engravings in the text, including 18 especially prepared for this work. Newly rebound by the Harcourt Bindery in half scarlet morocco with marbled sides and endpapers, t.e.g., the spines with gilt titles and panel ornaments. One of the most beautiful books on theatrical costume ever published. Colas 1165; Hiler & Hiler p. 350.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- First Folio (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- GALERIE THEATRALE, COLLECTION DE 144 PORTRAITS EN PIED DES PRINCIPAUX ACTEURS ET ACTRICES QUI ONT ILLUSTRE LA SCENE FRANCAISE DEPUIS 1552 JUSQU'A NOS JOURS
- Book condition
- Used - Some of the text and about 10 of the plates are foxed, all else fine and bright. A lovely wide-margained copy
- Quantity available
- Limited to 99 copies, this no. 8 (text volume numbered 54)
- Chez A. Barraud
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Bookseller catalogs
- COLOR PLATE BOOKS;
Terms of Sale
All books guaranteed as described. Items subject to return with prior notice within 10 days of receipt. Books must be in the the same condition as received by purchaser. We cannot accept alternate forms of payment such as money orders written for more than the amount of purchase with expectation of overages returned.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2006
Ask Seller a Question
About First Folio
Purveyors of fine books in many fields since 1980, we are a generalist antiquarian firm with specialties in fine bindings, illustrated and rare books.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description....[more]
- Foxing is the age related browning, or brown-yellowish spots, that can occur to book paper over time. When this aging process...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- A book in which the pages have been bound into a covering replacing the original covering issued by the publisher.
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...[more]