Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
The Hobbit tells the famous story of Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who is caught up in the affairs of wizards. His journey through Mirkwood and the climactic confrontation with the dragon Smaug served as the launching point for Tolkien's transformative trilogy, The Lord of the Rings. Many of the essential elements of Tolkien's classic saga have their roots in this children's book. The first impression of the first edition ran as a limited printing of 1500 copies, and authentic copies with the dust jacket will include a well known hand correction, in black ink, of a misspelling of the last name of Reverend Charles Dodgson (better known as Lewis Carroll) on the back flap. A first edition, first printing of the original U.K. edition can run over $40,000. Signed copies of this edition have been appraised at over $100,000 U.S. Later printings of the first edition also retain much value for collectors. The first U.S. Edition, printed in 1938 by Houghton Mifflin Company, is prized and is commonly sold to collectors at prices well over $2,000. Chips to the cover, a missing dustcover, wear to the spine, and damage to the map in the endpaper, are some of the more common flaws for this book. The story remains popular, and stands as one of the most enduring (and endearing) stories of the last century. The Hobbit sparked a creative explosion in speculative fiction, a fire that burns brightly to this day. The revival in interest in recent years, in part due to the popularity of the film series inspired by Tolkien's books only shows the timelessness of his story, and the importance of his work.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
This book has one huge major flaw: There are NO female characters. I am guessing all the ladies are in Upper Earth and Lower Earth.
Terms of Sale
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Pellegrino Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The heel of the spine.
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Very Good Condition book with a Very Good Condition dust jacket. Very Good Condition indicates a used book that does show some...[more]
This Book’s Categories
- Fiction & Literature Action & Adventure
- Fiction & Literature Classic Literature
- Fiction & Literature Science Fiction & Fantasy Science Fiction
- Fiction & Literature Science Fiction & Fantasy Fantasy Epic Fantasy
- Fiction & Literature Science Fiction & Fantasy Fantasy Tolkien
- Children & Juvenile Juvenile & Young Adult Juvenile Fiction & Literature