LAST OF THE CONQUERORS [SIGNED]
by Smith, William Gardner
- See description
Rockville, Maryland, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1948. First Edition, Second Printing. Hardcover. Octavo, 262 pages; G-/G-; spine pink faded to white and grey with white titling; dust jacket protected with a mylar covering, price uncut '$2.75', fading to spine, chipping to all extremities, including head and tail of spine, front hinge; water-staining to fore and lower edges of boards; Signed flat by Smith in blue ink on the ffep, small bleed onto front flap; First Edition, Second Printing, before publication; extremely scarce signed; shelved case 6. William Gardner Smith's debut novel, it reflects his own experience as an African-American GI serving in the racially segregated United States Army in US-occupied Germany after World War II. It revolves around the protagonist, Hayes Dawkins, having an affair with Ilse, a white German woman. Smith's third book, South Street (1954), is considered to be one of the first black militant protest novels. 1352318. Shelved Dupont Bookstore.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Second Story Books, ABAA (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- LAST OF THE CONQUERORS [SIGNED]
- Smith, William Gardner
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- First Edition, Second Printing
- Farrar, Straus and Giroux
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
Terms of Sale
Second Story Books, ABAA
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. Trade discounts only on items not identified on inventory with special discounts International customers are responsible for all Duties/Taxes/VATs/etc. For domestic orders, anything valued $300 or more will be shipped signature required. Returns/Refunds will be handled per Biblio's return policy. Please contact us directly, via email, before sending anything back so that we can make the necessary arrangements. Refunds occur when the book is received and the errors/issues/damages have been confirmed.
About the Seller
Biblio member since 2010
Ask Seller a Question
About Second Story Books, ABAA
DC's Oldest Rare and Used Bookstore, Second Story Books operates two open shops in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area. We have a large internet presence including this website, Amazon, and Ebay, accredited appraisals member ASA, and an in house book binder. For more information go to www.secondstorybooks.com
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- The heel of the spine.
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- A common abbreviation for Front Free End Paper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...
- A defect in which small pieces are missing from the edges; fraying or small pieces of paper missing the edge of a paperback, or...