MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL. A Savannah Story
by Berendt, John
- Cloth spine, paper-covered boards, A fine copy in fine dust jacket
HACKETTSTOWN, New Jersey, United States
Bibliophiles Club Membership
Standard delivery: 4 to 10 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Read John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil in Large Print. All Random House Large Print editions are published in a 16-point typefaceShots rang out in Savannah's grandest mansion in the misty,early morning hours of May 2, 1981. Was it murder or self-defense? For nearly a decade, the shooting and its aftermath reverberated throughout this hauntingly beautiful city of moss-hung oaks and shaded squares. John Berendt's sharply observed, suspenseful, and witty narrative reads like a thoroughly engrossing novel, and yet it is a work of nonfiction. Berendt skillfully interweaves a hugely entertaining first-person account of life in this isolated remnant of the Old South with the unpredictable twists and turns of a landmark murder case.It is a spellbinding story peopled by a gallery of remarkable characters: the well-bred society ladies of the Married Woman's Card Club; the turbulent young redneck gigolo; the hapless recluse who owns a bottle of poison so powerful it could kill every man, woman, and child in Savannah; the aging and profane Southern belle who is the "soul of pampered self-absorption"; the uproariously funny black drag queen; the acerbic and arrogant antiques dealer; the sweet-talking, piano-playing con artist; young blacks dancing the minuet at the black debutante ball; and Minerva, the voodoo priestess who works her magic in the graveyard at midnight. These and other Savannahians act as a Greek chorus, with Berendt revealing the alliances, hostilities, and intrigues that thrive in a town where everyone knows everyone else. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story is a sublime and seductive reading experience. Brilliantly conceived and masterfully written, this enormously engaging portrait of a most beguiling Southern city is certain to become a modern classic.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- The Old Mill Bookshop (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL. A Savannah Story
- Berendt, John
- Pp. viii, 392. 8vo
- Book Condition
- Used - Cloth spine, paper-covered boards, A fine copy in fine dust jacket
- Quantity Available
- Second printing
- Random House
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
Terms of Sale
The Old Mill Bookshop
About the Seller
The Old Mill Bookshop
About The Old Mill Bookshop
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...