Les Phenomenes et les Curiosites de la Nature: (Phenomena and Curiosities of Nature)
- very good
- Very Good/None
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
The 36 (of 37) dramatic lithographs were drawn and printed by the Strasbourg engraver Emile Lemaitre, handfinished in color and gum arabic.
The phenomena include meteorological (sunrise, lightning, the Aurora Borealis, tides and rainbows), geological (mines, gold fields and volcanoes), as well as terrestrial wonders (Mount Vesuvius, Niagara Falls, the Andes mountains, Giant's Causeway, Fingal's cave, the Rhone, etc.)
The plates are accompanied by explanatory text printed in blue, detailing historical and scientific information, sometimes referring to the latest inventions and events. The Arctic plate includes Sir John Franklin's 1845 doomed expedition to the North Pole, while the Gold Fields plate describes the California Gold Rush of 1848.
List of plates: Sunrise - Thunderstorm - Rainbow - Earthquake - Waterspout - Moonlight - Flood - Avalanche - Simoom - Aurora Borealis - Tides - Ocean currents - North Pole - Mount Vesuvius - Underwater volcanoes - Virgin forests (Central America) - Desert (Gauchos on the Steppes) - Mines - Gold fields (California) - Glaciers - Source of the Rhine - Salt pans and fire pits (China) - Geysers - Niagara Falls - Cataracts (Staubbach Fall, Switzerland) - the Andes (Mount Chimborazo, Ecuador) - the Nile - Cave of Antiparos (Greece) - Natural bridge (Virginia) - Peter Botte Mountain (Mauritius) - Giant's Causeway - Fingal's Cave - Salt Mountain (Spain) - Disappearance of the Rhone - Fairies Grotto (Saint-Bauzille, France) - Adam's Peak (Sri Lanka).
Condition: Buckram binding holding firm, gilt on spine bright, boards bumped at corners with 3cm black ink stain on front. Interior with watermarked silk endpapers, ticket of Jacquet-Schreiber "papetiere lithographer," tissue guards (a few with small tears), plates with a few smudges and spots of foxing, but generally clean and vibrant.
(A second edition was published in 1869 with the title Les Curiosites et les Merveilles de la Nature.)
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Florilegius (JP)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Les Phenomenes et les Curiosites de la Nature
- Emile Lemaitre
- Buckram with four-raised bands and gilt on spin, AEGe
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Jacket Condition
- Quantity Available
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Quarto, 30 x 24cm
- illustrated, science, natural phenomena, Lemaitre, lithograph
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...
- A plain weave fabric normally made from cotton or linen which is stiffened with starch or other chemicals to cover the book...