Select Fables.: By Mr. Charles Denis.
by Denis, Charles
- See description
New York, New York
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Following in the tradition of LaFontaine, Aesop, and -- if Quintilian is to be believed -- Hesiod, Charles Denis wrote fables that survive the Classical definition: A fable is no more than a moral instruction disguised under the allegory of an action. De La Motte said a fable was an epic poem in miniature, but with more freedom of subject and in the choice of actors. There are 120 fables in Denis's collection, the last was dedicated to His Grace, Thomas, the Archbishop of Canterbury titled "The Phoenix and the Owl." First edition. ESTC Cit. No. T101633.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- G.Gosen Rare Books & Old Paper, ABAA, ILAB (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Select Fables.
- Denis, Charles
- Rebound in quarter brown calf, five raised bands, gilt-decorated label, on twentieth century marbled boards.
- Book condition
- Printed for J. and R. Tonson and S. Draper
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Fables, English Literature, Eighteenth Century
- In-8, 21 cm
Terms of Sale
G.Gosen Rare Books & Old Paper, ABAA, ILAB
We ship to the buyer at a verified address. It is important for our customers to understand that we ship to the buyer at this verified address. All material is guaranteed as described and given a life-time guarantee of authenticity. All material is returnable within ten calendar days with advance written notification from the buyer stating the reason for the return. Returned material must be returned in exactly the same condition and secure internal wrapping in which it was shipped for a full refund to be made. Customers are expected to pay for shipping at the time of purchase according to weight, desired speed of delivery and for the insured value of the shipment. Some large, heavy books or sets of books, will require additional shipping. It is recommended that customers request shipments be sent to themselves in their own names by the most secure means to their verified addresses to assure speedy and secure insured delivery. For some customers outside the United States, special arrangements may be necessary to assure safe and secure delivery. We accept checks drawn on United States banks in dollars, as well as payments through PayPal. Sales to residents of New York State and New York City are subject to state and local taxes. All books and/or items remain the property of G. Gosen Rare Books & Old Paper until payment in full has been received. All material is subject to prior sale.
About the Seller
About G.Gosen Rare Books & Old Paper, ABAA, ILAB
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A book that is less then 3 inches in width and ... [More]
- Marbled boards
- ... [More]
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created in the... [More]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [More]
- A book in which the pages have been bound into a covering replacing the original covering issued by the publisher.
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat the... [More]