The Mysteries of Paris
by SUE, Eugene
- near fine
- Near Fine
COLUMBIA, Missouri, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
1845 1ed Eugene Sue Mysteries of Paris anti-Catholic English Novel Literature 3v
'The Mysteries of Paris' is a classic French novel by Eugene Sue, published in the mid-19th-century. In many ways, 'Mysteries of Paris' was a landmark work as well as being controversial. Sue was one of the first French authors to fuse characters from different social classes making this work popular amongst all readers, not just upper or lower classes.
However, this work, which follows the mysterious life of a German Duke, is one of the most famous 'anti-Catholic' novels. Along with 'The Wandering Jew', this book depicted various aspects of underclass society and helped establish the 'city mysteries' literary genre. This 1845 English first edition features nearly 700 illustrations throughout!
Item number: #12036
The Mysteries of Paris
London: Chapman and Hall, 1845-1846. First Authorized English Edition.
· Collation: Complete with all pages; 3 volumes
o Vol. I – , iv, 484
o Vol. II – , 504
o Vol. III – , 442
o Illustrated throughout
· Provenance: Armorial Bookplate – "Appetitus Rationi Pareat"
o General William Neville Custance CB (1811 – 1886) was a senior British Army officer, who served initially as an infantry officer, but mainly as cavalry officer. Seeing service in the Crimean War and the Indian Rebellion of 1857.
o He led the following:
6th Dragoon Guards in India
Commandant of the Cavalry Depots at Canterbury and Maidstone
Colonel of the 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own).
· Language: English
· Binding: Leather; tight & secure
· Size: ~10.25in X 7in (26cm x 18cm)
Very Fast. Very Safe. Free Shipping Worldwide.
Customer satisfaction is our priority! Notify us with 7 days of receiving, and we will offer a full refund without reservation!
Photos available upon request.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- The Mysteries of Paris
- SUE, Eugene
- Leather; tight & secure
- Book Condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Quantity Available
- Chapman and Hall
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- 1845 1ed Eugene Sue Mysteries of Paris anti-Catholic English Novel Literature 3vrare, antique, old, first edition, 1st state, provenance, signed, inscribed, dust jacket, vellum, manuscript, engravings, illustrations, leather, plates, maps, antiquarian
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
About the Seller
About Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...