Narrative of the United States Expedition to the River Jordan and the Dead Sea. With a map from accurate surveys. A new and condensed edition.
by Lynch, W. F
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Richard Bentley. London. 1852. Octavo. xvi, 25-332pp. (Complete despite pagination) Folding map frontis. Musical notation of an Arab War Cry to p229. Original embossed decorative cloth, gilt to spine, sl. faded. Edges untrimmed. Sporadic foxing/spotting, particularly to title and map. Rough sketch on scrap paper of a house loosely inserted, with a rough unfinished sketch of another house to end pastedown. Faint pencil "Widdrington" signatures to ffep. with faint pencil shelfmark "D.west". Binder's label to end pastedown.
Provenance of interest: Armorial bookplate of S. F. Widdrington. From the library at Newton Hall.
Shallcross Fitzherbert [Jacson] Widdrington 1826-1917. A traveller, antiquarian and artist. "Dara el Abead. The Coptic Monastery" 1868 is one of his works. Succeeded to the Hauxley and Newton-on-the-Moor Estates on the death of his uncle in 1856, under whose will he assumed the name Widdrington. Shallcross significantly remodelled and enlarged Newton Hall in 1864.
The Country House Sale - Newton Hall 20 January 2010. Christies. London. "The Widdringtons were a tremendously wealthy family. Newton Hall and its contents reflect a particular way of life and now it is coming to its end. The hall is a time capsule. Nothing was thrown away." The sale of the contents of the house and its library of books also included a number of watercolours and drawings by Shallcross, including topographical views of Italy, The Dardanelles, Algiers and Egypt.
His daughter Frances married Sir Edward Grey of Falloden.
His brother Widdrington Jacson (b1824) of the 41st The Welch Regiment was killed by a fall from his horse on the 10th May 1845 in Brecon where there is a memorial monument inscription in his memory.
His wife Cecilia Widdrington 1840-1936 was born Cecilia Gregg Hopwood. On all occasions she wore steel-capped workman's boots. With her husband she travelled widely, going up the Nile by streamer before the source had been discovered. Mr Widdrington studied antiquities. Her first child, born after her marriage to Shallcross, was by another man. Roger Fry adored her "She it was who undertook to educate him in the art of love…" Roger Fry - Art and Life by Frances Spalding.
Aleen Isabel Cust was born in 1868, one of six children of Sir Leopold Cust. When her father died in 1878, at the age of ten she came under the guardianship of Shallcross Fitzherbert Widdrington at Newton Hall. The Widdringtons encouraged her ambitions: Cecilia believed in careers for women, and she encouraged Aleen to do more with her life than fulfill the genteel expectations of Lady Cust. ODNB
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Narrative of the United States Expedition to the River Jordan and the Dead Sea. With a map from accurate surveys. A new and condensed edition.
- Lynch, W. F
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Richard Bentley
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Azores, Mahon, Malta, Bookplate, Smyrna, Constantinople, Syria, Beirut, Jerusalem, Jaffa, Nazareth, Damascus
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Military History; Provenance, Bookplates and Associations; Archaeology & Ancient History; The Middle East, India and Asia;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- A common abbreviation for Front Free EndPaper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...[more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]