A Voyage to North America, and the West Indies, in 1817. (1821)(1st English edition)(plus 1950 translation)
by Edouard de Montulé
- very good
- Very Good
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
1821, London, first edition in English. Modern fine binding of half leather and marbled boards by Starr Bookworks. An underappreciated volume likely due to this first English translation. The modern translator, Seeber, describes this translation as the "product of a prosaic and incompetent literary hack" (please tell us how you really feel). It also omits about 40% of the original work leaving out daily interactions with Americans, Native Americans, and the most colorful events. Condition is Very Good: modern fine binding is excellent. Interior has scattered foxing and toning, no writing or old ownership marks. Marginal pencil mark on final page. Frontis edge conserved. Paginates: frontis, , 102, 5 plates, modern blanks. Six plates total. Other engravings in text. The Mammoth Skeleton plate is a modern copy. The frontis is a fairly spectacular aquatint of New York harbor. Copies with color plates are uncommon. See Howes M757. Please see images of the book you will receive. Feel free to inquire. Notes: I will include a copy of the 1950 translation by Seeber which I suggest is essential to full appreciation of this volume.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Ironwood Hills Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- A Voyage to North America, and the West Indies, in 1817. (1821)(1st English edition)(plus 1950 translation)
- Edouard de Montulé
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity Available
- Printed for Sir Richard Phillips and Co.
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Exploration; American History; Curious, Rare & Obscure; Art; Amerind / Indigenous;
Terms of Sale
Ironwood Hills Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives damaged, is the wrong item, or item description is fatally flawed. We can solve most problems.
About the Seller
Biblio member since 2017
Ask Seller a Question
About Ironwood Hills Books
I specialize in selling accurately described collectible books. I post one or more scans for every book so you can see what you will receive.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Fine Binding
- An elaborate and decorative binding, example including a leather-bound book with gilt edges, raised blind stamps, raised ribs,...
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"...
- Marbled boards
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
Join the Bibliophiles’ Club and start saving 10% on every book.
$29.95 / Year